My 40gB REBUILD!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by TheManJordo, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Looks like your off to a good start. The 40B is a great size. I don't think a Marineland C360 is a good idea though, too much flow for the filtration we use in reefs. Really the only things you'd run in it would be GAC and maybe GFO. However, these prefer lower flow speeds, 100-200 gph max really. I'd look at just getting one or two phosban 150 reactors. Or if you really want a canister, something smaller, like one of the small fluvals would be good. Technically you don't need it. At a minimum, all you really need for a reef is liverock, powerheads and a protein skimmer (and/or GAC). Also, what are you using for a stand? The lights probably are a bit overkill. 2x 150 MHs would be great. I guess you could add 2 T-5 actinics for dusk to dawn effects though. Or 4 T-5s alone (I prefer 6 for high light SPS and clams though).

2. Click Here!

3. ilikespam

ilikespam Feather Duster

I too also have a 40b and my return from my aqueon 2500 seems to be plenty of flow for everything in my tank.

4. TheManJordo

TheManJordo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Ok good to know about the canister... good ol' LFS wanting my money! For a stand I am using a rock solid oak trunk... I have a feeling that I will be adding a sump to this setup and changing the stand in the future we'll see... For lights I was recommended to just get a 4xT5... I am going to order it this week... I guess if I need six I can add a double...

In the meantime Ammonia is up to 1.0, and shrimp looks nasty but its working!

5. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Looks & smells nasty by now I bet LOL

What brand of lights are you leaning towards?
    +1 on adding a sump though

6. TheManJordo

hey great thread.... how is that odyessa light working for you? I just ordered the same one...

7. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

It's a little loud. You can hear a small buzz when running led. It's. It to bad though. I'm probably going to end up replacing the balasts after a while as an upgrade for the lights

8. Click Here!

9. TheManJordo

UPDATE!!! Ammonia has leveled out at 1.0... Nitrites are on the rise, i just bought a kit to test them... Currently they are at 0.1... 750gph Hydor powerhead is in... It blew the cocktail shrimp into pieces, hahaha kinda gross, but it looked like brine shrimp being blown around.... Odyessa 4xT5VHO will be here thursday... I still have another powerhead on the way... This is the first tank I set up with out ALL live rock (I learned to mix it with base rock after I set up my first one :p) and man it take much longer to cycle, but Im being patient...

However, when it comes to stock the tank, should I put in coral or fish first? Does it matter either way? The first addition will be a CUC from reef cleaners for sure this time too!

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I don't think it really matters if you add the coral or the fish first at all. I would just make sure that you are stocking with compatible species is all.

11. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

congrats on the progress! I just got an order from reefcleaners, those guys are fantastic

12. TheManJordo

Well guys today was a GRRRREAT day!!! My light came, my ammonia is 0... and my nitrites are on the rise... from 0.1 to 0.2 today!!! Patience is paying off... I cant wait to start adding stuff!