My 40gB REBUILD!!!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by TheManJordo, Nov 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheManJordo

TheManJordo Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

So the 29 gallon FOWLR was last winters project... This winter its going to be a 40g reef set up...

Currently there is 50lbs of dry reef rock with 5lb live rock in there and 40lbs of live sand...
    Filteration wise, Im starting with a Marineland C360 (is this a bad idea?)

As far as lighting and powerheads I need some guidance... Im thinking a Odyssea 406W Metal Halide System Advance Plus, what do u all think about them? As far as types of coral i want to be able to have almost anything...

For powerheads... i was thinking like 2x800gph at opposite ends of the tank... Let me know what you all think...

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

hey glad to see you started a build thread we can follow! have you started the cycle yet?

4. TheManJordo

It will tonight! I refuse to go out in the traffic right now... I had to work this morning at Abercrombie and Fitch, and almost got in to 3 accidents because people cant drive all they want is their black friday sales!(I live within a half mile of the mall..lol) So Im going to the store in a little bit for some shrimp...

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That sounds like a lot of light for the 40 gallon breeder tank. I would ask member 2in10. Here is a link to my build thread. All the equipment that I just bought is mainly on the last two or three pages.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/show-of...uild-rowaphos-question-post-213-a-121026.html

I have recently bought:

Bak-Pak 2 Reef Ready Hang-On Protein Skimmer by CPR Aquatics
    36" 156W (4x 39W) T5 HO Light Fixture Extendable Series
    Microbacter7
    Hydor Koralia Evolution Circulation Pump/Powerhead 425 gph
    Odyssea UV Sterilizer 9W
    ROWAphos Phosphate Removal Media
    I think that is it.

6. TheManJordo

well the shrimp went in last night... I just tested the ammonia... went from 0 last evening to .5 this afternoon!!! Ive decided to go with a 4 light t5 system... and powerheads... i read for sps i should have 50X water turnover so Im thinking 2x1300 powerheads... What do u guys think?

7. TheManJordo

update.. just bought a 750gph hydor powerhead... ammonia is up to 1.0...

8. Click Here!

9. Mawnkey

Mawnkey Ritteri Anemone

I just set up a 40b you can check out my build thread and ask me about any of the equipment

10. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I have two 750's in my 40B and everything loves it. One on each side of the tank and it makes for nice random current. SPS, LPS, and softies all doing great.

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

For flow I have 2 Hob aquaclear 50's, 1 korilla 425, a protein skimmer and a UV sterilizer that is ran by a penguin 550 powerhead. I only have softies, but they all love it.
    Mozilla/4.0 (BREW 3.1.5; U; en-us; Sanyo; NetFront/3.5.1/AMB) Boost SCP6760

12. dimpthepimp

dimpthepimp Bristle Worm

Your going to love your 40gnot breeder. I like the dimensions on this tank which gives you depth to work with. I've got two 425 koralia's and one 1050 in the front for mine. Just seem like two 425 's wasn't enough.