My 29G Sump/Refugium - plans

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by GatorDrew, Apr 29, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Hmmm... would it matter that the live rock would be in a slow flowing area? I guess I could have LR scattered around else where... doesn't really matter.

But what you're suggesting is:

[Inlet: protein skimmer & pump... some live rock on bottom.: ~7" wide]
    1. 13"
    [1" spacing]
    2. ~17.25" (From top to bottom... leaving 1.5" at the bottom)
    [1" spacing]
    3. 10"
    [Return Pump... T to the refugium... T to the Phosban. 7.5"]
    5. 10"
    [.5" spacing]
    6. ~17.25" (From top to bottom... leaving 1.5" at the bottom)
    [.5" spacing]
    7. 17" (since there's "teeth" water will only be up to 16")
    [Refugium flow @ ~5gph 10.5"]

That sounds awesome to me. Any other input?

2. Click Here!

3. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

T off the inlet to the refugium. put valve inline to control flow through the refugium. Let the rest go to the sump side and Run the other stuff off the return pump. Just an idea to toy with.
    ps. Make a drawing when done and post, so I can use it :)

4. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

My return pump is going at about 1000gph. A bit too much for the tank. So, I'm t-ing it off then having a ball valve to control the flow into refugium. After the first t there will be a second t w/ ball valve to control the phosban. Since both items require very slow flow rate, I should still have ~850-900 gph actually going into the tank.

The only thing I'm worried about is thbe e water coming from the inline to the tank. I'm not sure how I can "quite" the water flow. I guess I'll just get a long enough PVC pipe so the end of it is under water.

I still want a baffle between my inline and return pump so I don't have to worry about bubbles, etc.

I'm still trying to think of how I can have some type of mechanical filtration. I'm thinking that I could have some sort of tray or something on the inlet. Somewhat how my current wet/dry is.

I'm thinking that I could it easily replicate that idea...

Any thoughts?

5. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

After thinking a bit... I think you're right about T-ing off on the inlet instead of the return. If I went from the Return to Refugium the water would be "cleaner" since the return is fed after the protein skimmer, etc.

So, I'm going to look into PVC piping that's 1" with tubing, gate valves, etc. I think gate valves are worth the money, but I donno...

6. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

I was also thinking of useing mechanical filtration but then thought that it would filter out the good things too, copods and such.

7. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Very good point... does anyone else have any more input?

8. Click Here!

9. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think maybe the last baffles that go to the return the water should exit through the bottom and not the top. The object of the baffles is to eliminate micro bubbles and if the water in the return section is lower than the last baffles then the water will crash down and create bubbles. (currently happening to me since my baffles are like yours)

10. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

Thanks IBM Geek. I'll give it some thought... although not sure how to accomplish it. I'll have an auto top off... so hopefully won't have much of that.

This is what I have right now.

I've made some small modifications. The return pump will supply the phosban... so that saves some room.

I still want to have the inlet "pour" over the LR. Just seems like a good idea. I would like to get a bulkhead with a "strainer" similar to that of my wet/dry. (As seen on the system on the left here.) Maybe it's not as necessary though. The inlet also supplies the refugium. I'll use a ball valve there.

The mag-drive pump that I'm lookin at is 4.5" wide. So, 6" in the return would allow for some breathing room, etc.

With these modifications, the refugium is ~10 gallons.

Let me know what you think!

Thank you thus far for the input!

Attached Files:

11. GatorDrew

GatorDrew Astrea Snail

What if I just got rid of that last baffles before the return?

12. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I modified you sump plan so you can get an idea. I have my baffles on my sump exactly how you drew it, but if i would do the sump again i would do it like i told you. I am not getting microbubbles now because i make sure that there is enough water in the return so the water is above the last baffle thus the water is not crashing down. Just a suggestion.

Attached Files: