my 20 live sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by helwidcha, Aug 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Awesome, glad I was able to save you money and/or the tank itself :)

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

If I had a dollar every time I heard that...

Thanks OFK :)

5. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

so its time for me to order a good reliable and affordable return pump im thinking its a 20 gal refugium there's going to be at lest 3' head height so maybe a 450 gph pump? im sure yall can point me in the right direction on this :)

6. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

I run a Rio on my 180. A lot of people don't like them but I have been using Rio for 10+ years. Reliable and quiet and not much heat added to the sump. A Rio 2500 would give you 580 gallons at 3' which would turn over your 55 over 10 times an hour which is what you want. They are cheap as well.

For an upgrade the Eheim is a good product as well as Sicce, but more expensive.

7. helwidcha

ty slassco. I will check them out now. im just a little confused though. I thought I would get my flow through my dt with my power heads and slow flow my refugium. maybe I was thinking wrong.

8. Click Here!

9. helwidcha

a pic of the little progress I have made lol

Attached Files:

10. helwidcha

ok so I ordered 80 lbs of sand and only 40 came today! grr! but I went ahead and added my dsb to my live sump and did a big clean up of the crap algae growing there and my nitrates and phosphates are now 0 ppm :) I made a 5" dsb and when the other sand shows up I will have 2" in my dt oh yeah ! how long will it take for denitrifying bacteria to colonize ?

Attached Files:

11. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Depends a lot of variables. Is there available food for the denutrifying bacteria? Fish food, raw shrimp (no urine::)). You need to feed the bacteria basically. A lot of people just ghost feed the tank, just like there were fish in it. Expect it to be as long 8 weeks roughly if you use dry base rock.

12. helwidcha

hahaha I caught your joke lmao!! ok well my rubble rock is live and been in the sump for a month plus the top inch of substrate so there is ( pee ) going in there :p just not mine lol soo 2 to 3 months still?