my 20 live sump

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by helwidcha, Aug 30, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. helwidcha

helwidcha Flamingo Tongue

ok guys I just wanted to share some pics of my cheep simple live sump set up. this is my first time trying this and its been 16 years since I have been away from the hobbie..so love to hear what yall think. oh and im just cycling it first until I get money to start up my 55 ..its helping me pass the time lol

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. helwidcha

here's more pics now with diatoms blooming :( and ammonia still around 4.0 the very top rock has lost of little green macro algae growing. hope to keep it alive!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

Welcome back to the hobby and to 3reef. Keep us posted on your progress. Looks like your off to a good start.

Any plans for the DT once you get one?

5. helwidcha

ty slassco.. DT ? dominant tank? lol sorry I have it already. its a 55 gall long. yeah I want to cut the glass two 1'' drains from a overflow box to the sump and maybe a 600 gph return pump..the tank will have a good 5" sand bed and at lest 50 lbs dry rock and maybe 40 lbs decor rock. lighting..still up in the air..i really want to be able to raise all kinds of coral. ...its going to be months before I bet the extra money though.

6. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

FYI, most 55's have tempered glass on every panel, and so you can't drill them. The tank should have a sticker on the bottom saying whether it is just the bottom or all sides.

7. Slassco

Slassco Flamingo Tongue

+1 on drilling. Would hate to see you have a setback just getting back into the hobby. Also check the forums or google DBS (deep sand beds) before settling on a final design. A lot of mixed thoughts on going deep in your DT (display or main tank :) ). You can use your sump as a refuge where a deep sand bed is utilized.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions. A lot of knowledge people on this forum.

8. Click Here!

9. helwidcha

wow ty guys ! well the warning sticker that's clearly on the bottom glass says in big letters that I didn't read..DO NOT DRILL GLASS lol nothing more. sooo shoot! what now ? hang on back overflow ?

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Glad you found it before it was too late! I would do a HOB overflow, yes. I really like Eshopps for this. I used a PF-1000 on my 55 (it is the smallest box that has dual drains). Because my return pump was in the 500GPH range, I was able to only use one Utube, and one drain. I put a piece of 1" PVC in the second drain an inch taller than the other and used that as an emergency drain in case the main one was ever clogged. I never needed it, but it is worth it for the piece of mind IMO.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Welcome to 3reef and back to the hobby!! You'll get great advice here. I'm sump and drilling impaired so can't help on that :)

12. helwidcha

Marshall thank you so very much! I was about to order my overflow box and drill kit $100 and then bust my tank!! $140 ..again TY! so the PF-1000 it will be and a lot cheaper and easier :) I was going to drill then paint. So I got home today and painted my back glass black..looks fantastic !!