My 120g Tank

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by sandy, Dec 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

My new toy replaced my old skimmer

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Pretty sure my long spined urchin has spawned a few times, its the only urchin of that species in my tank.
    As for goniopora, its a tough coral to keep, thats why I havent attempted one yet. I need to read up some more.

4. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

After adding skimmer he is back

Attached Files:

Corailline likes this.
  5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Now that you have polyp extension that means it can grab food. Feed him!!!!

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  6. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

Ya today morning I have feed him little Mysis shrimp he grap it .

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I am glad the Goniopora is doing better. You'll need to feed the coral a slurry of fine particulate matter. Mysis/mysid are too big, they make a specific good called Goniopower which has received excellent reviews. You can also make up your own slurry with flakes or pellets crushed and mixed with a frozen fish food like Rods.

8. Click Here!

9. sandy

sandy Bristle Worm

Thanks but here we don't get such food for goniopora, can I feed them zooplankton or phytoplankton and I have tried crush flakes and pellets but is not expected it my chalice eating it

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just make a slurry out of what you have, the point is to make it fine particulate. You can go to any market and buy seafood and process it into a paste form. Not all corals are going to be able to obtain nutritional value from the same foods unfortunately, what you feed your chalice might not work for every coral in your tank.
    Do not compromise water quality trying to feed corals.
    You can target feed the Goniopora by covering it with a liter plastic bottle of soda cut in half and then introducing the slurry. This allows the coral time to feed and keeps other critters from consuming the coral's food, and you usually do not have to introduce so much organic matter to the system.

Goniopora are one of the hardest corals to keep long term. It really depends on what type you have. You'll not be able to target feed the coral effectively while it's in the rock work like that.

Hope that helps.

sandy and DSC reef like this.
  11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I want to stress coraillines comment about compromising water quiality to feed your coral. This is a main reason why I dont purchase coral like goniopora. I dont target feed any of my coral, others may disagree. This is because I was under the impression that all coral need to be fed. I was new to the hobby and went with it. I purchased rods food. I feed everyother day. It was too much. Got all sorts of algae and cyano issues. I stopped feeding coral and things got much better. My coral are better then they have ever been, its all due to good water quality.

Corailline likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

+1000!!!! Sometimes certain corals just can't go with our system. Not that you didn't but for future reference try and research the animals requirements before purchase to decide if it will be a good fit for your aquarium. Be reluctant to take the guy at the fish stores advise as well. Not all but some just want the sale and as we all know this hobby produces major impulses to buy at first site, I'm guilty of that. If I can't fulfill the corals or fish's diet or light requirements I stay clear and just take a picture instead;)

Lovemyreef2015 and Corailline like this.