Mushroom removal

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Stingray, Aug 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

I have a few mushrooms on some live rock that are not gonna get the light they need no matter how i position the rock due to other corals on it, my question is can mushrooms move their self to a spot better suited or can i just remove these from the rock, they do not open like the others they are somewhat shrivelled?, if so how do i go about doing it? and to frag a piece of xenia i just cut it from the bottom of the stem with a pair of scissors right?

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  4. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

That was cool...Now I will frag MY mushroom.
    I have one that came without a rock and bounced around for a couple of months sometimes getting as large as a silver dollor...but never mutiplying or attaching...well it finally attached about a month ago, but behind the bubble coral...and now it just sets there and only staying the size of a quater.....bubble almost smothers it when IT is open (which is about always)...so it gets little light..and does not seem to want to relocate or multiply.....wadaya think?

1 person likes this.
  5. Stingray

Thanks, will it not hurt the xenia to spear it with a wooden toothpick, i take it when its attached to the rock you would then pull out the toothpick yes?

6. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Just be sure to keep it out of high flow. Also, make sure the rubberband/toothpick isn't too tight. It will cause it to tear. It will attach to new rock pretty quickly. I've had it attach enough within 2 days.

2 people like this.
  7. Stingray

ok thank you, will keep u updated