Mushroom Fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by 55gfowlr, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Apologies, I didn't get the time I wanted to dice and slice. Some personal things had to be put in front. I'll do my best to have some shots up by tonight.

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Last night I removed my netting only half my mushroom were attached. The ones that weren't I just tossed in my bare bottom frag tank. When they grow, I will work on reattaching them to rock.

4. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Couple pictures. [​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

OK, as promised, an update to my mushroom farm.

My first set......Happy and full of color. As well as 2 greens I picked up from my LFS.
    [​IMG]

The next set of cuttings from the original foot that grew back, the second half is attached to the back of a rock, but is doing fine.
    [​IMG]

Bulls eye, Frilly, and Worty mushrooms.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And as promised......The slicing and dicing....The Richordias

....I want to mention now, that I'm attempting a much less invasive method than in past tries. Instead of completely removing the creature from the rock, I'm simply cleaving it in half while still allowing it to stay on the rock. I think from the photo results you will see the difference. This is supposed to be much easier, and less traumatic on the mushroom, allowing for quicker heal times.

Before
    [​IMG]

"Scalpel" .....
    [​IMG]

Immediately following....I've cut the green with blue skirt into 5 pieces, and the rainbow into 2, in which I pretty much separated the mouths. You might say I just hastened along, what was eventually going to happen with time, but these guys can be pricey for mushrooms, so for the first try I choose the safer path. For kicks, I cut one green mouth in half for test and observation. Notice the lack of retraction in the after pic....

[​IMG]

I'll update again in 2 weeks....thank you all for checking in...

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

civiccars, Nice job with the split.....Dont worry about that other one, it'll do just fine, Like I mentioned about mine, it latched onto a rock on the back side of my DT, bad thing is it's hard to view, but it's happy and that's what really counts I suppose (rolls eyes) LOL...

What color is your mushroom by the way?

7. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Quicker than expected update....
    At least one of the mushrooms has, after one day, already began to make an obvious reaction. As you can see, the green with blue skirt on the left is beginning to draw one side into two halves, which was a lot faster than I thought. The rainbow is still waiting though, so when it comes around I'll update again.

[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

And then there were 2

[​IMG]

10. Scail

Scail Astrea Snail

Awesome thread, can't wait for more. I love how you can just start with a small sample and end up with a whole tankful.

11. brentonwoodruff

brentonwoodruff Fire Worm

I have heard of this several times but have never heard from anybody that has actually done this. Is there anybody out there who has tried this firsthand and had any success?

12. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I'm still curious about the blender method as well lol. This is a great thread for showing progress of fragging shrooms.