Mushroom Fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by 55gfowlr, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Just Got a new Blue Mushroom, (under the net) it came attached to some shells, so I immediately pulled them off, and a small part of the foot came with one of the empty astrea shells. With any luck it'll grab hold and be a free-be. He's not too happy with me ripping him from his foot hold, see the guts spilling from the center...They'll draw back in by tomorrow.

[​IMG]

You can barely see the beige section of the foot, it's on the left shell. My camera tends to whiten everything I capture, but with any luck it'll grow and get some better color.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Any updates? I just did this to about five mushrooms. I cut each one in quarters, place each quarter on a frag rock and put netting over top with a rubber band. I did this on Sunday. In a week, I will check to see if they have attached and or survived. Tonight if I remember, I will post some pictures. The frags are currently in my frag tank. I will be looking to sell once they have grown.

4. civiccars2003

Great thread by the way.

5. civiccars2003

Bump

6. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

Sweet! Could you use super glue to attach it to the rock instead?

7. civiccars2003

Don't think so, I believe that's why netting is used to attach them to the rocks.

8. Click Here!

9. SwimsWithFish

10. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

Great job, I'll post some updated pics later tonight. All the mushrooms I've fragged so far have grown back just fine. Not one has died. I did have a hard time with a new one grabbing the rock. It'd take hold, then let go. Take hold, then again let go. Since then, I've let it just float around my tank aimlessly. It'll grab something when it feels like it. I'm also going to be fragging Richordias tonight, so I'll get some good pics of that.

Try not to disturb the little guys as they are setting. I tried to blow sediment off the netting with a baster, and would end up prolonging the process. The cuc will clean things up just fine, but if they get moved, it'll take longer to grab. GL and can't wait for the pics

11. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

The mushrooms are too slimy for superglue, I had one that woud not attach for the life of me. I tried netting, I tried rubberbands, I had even considered staples (kidding of course) finally it found a happy place and attached and is doing great today. They can be tricky sometimes!

12. SwimsWithFish

I saw a video of someone that actually blended mushrooms in a blender an just dumped the "slushy" in the tank and it worked.

I also read that you can just put the new frags in a bowl of rubble in the tank and they'll take hold in a few days.