Mushroom Fragging

Discussion in 'Frags' started by 55gfowlr, Jul 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Mushrooms are looking good!

2. Click Here!

3. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

I purchased a Jasmine polyp and found a little brown and green mushroom, after time and buying some tulle i cut it and placed it on a rock with the tulle bound over it, after attaching a few rubber bands to keep the flow from knocking the mushroom around after about 3 days it looks like it's attached but I'm still going to wait a week so hopefully it will be secure. it's expanding nicely under the loose screen tulle and i bout about a foot wide by almost 4 feet long for like 76 cents. it was the smallest amount i could buy from Joannes fabrics.

4. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

I would casually check mine with a small child medicine dosser (kind of a mini turkey baster), and it took these two almost 2 weeks to attach. I can't say if I was knocking them off by pulsing water around, or if they just didn't attach, but my best advice would be let them be for 2 weeks, and they should be fine.

Worst comes to worst, you pull the net off after then, and they float, you put them back under and keep waiting.....lol best of luck and great find.

5. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

yours did better than mine I had 3 pices and aam down to 1 the other two melted :p

6. Caspian

it's hard to tell if it's attached or not the mesh is down but not super tight just enough to keep it from rolling around like it was before. but it seems happy it expands in the daylight and shrinks at night

7. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

Ive heard that if you place a mushroom into your power head and let the pieces fly every where, is a good way of doing this also? Sounds kind of brutal to me though lol. Even though I wouldnt mind trying it:-X:)

8. Click Here!

9. Katie Grant

Katie Grant Aiptasia Anemone

10. Caspian

Sounds like the same idea as the blender trick but until i have a forest of mushrooms i wouldn't try it.

11. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid

If it's worth anything, I've set my tank up to be a low light. I've found it impossible to gather any input on this type of set up, due to most enthusiasts prefer a high light setting. I'm using 1 actenic t8 bulb (48 inch) and 1 natural daylight t8 40w running 12 hrs. Once again, most people don't recommend this lighting, but you may have better luck placing your mushroom frags in the shade until they establish, then slowly move them higher in the DT until they adjust to the higher lighting, that is assuming you have more luminant lighting than I, and most people do.

12. 55gfowlr

55gfowlr Zoanthid