murky water in newly established tank why?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jottol1661, Dec 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

So couldn't it be possible to complete the cycle quickly if you got the bacteria that turns Nh3 into No2 and the bacteria that turns No2 into No3, from an established tank and you got more bacteria than was needed to complete the cycle with the little ammount of Nh3 already in there? Then you would have a spike in Nh3 from the die off of the bacteria that has consumed all of its food, then a spike in No2 when that bacteria has more to eat. So according to my theory you could have a shorter cycle because the bacterias don't need to build up. The short mini cycle we experience is really just the established bacteria balancing out.

Does that make sense or am I off my rocker?

EDIT: Hey Luna I hope it doesn't seem like I am trying to debunk you or be cocky or something. I am just trying to figure out why everything read 0 so quickly. I really don't know myself, I just know that it did. I don't think it is bad testing either because I had it tested at 3 different LFS, and myself.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

By no means are you "de-bunking" me or coming off as cocky. We are just talking. I think that you are misunderstanding what I said before. If you start a tank with established LR and LS from another tank(established), then your theory is very possible. But what I was referring to was a new tank with new LR and LS to cycle in two weeks. Luna

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh ok. I did misunderstand you then. :-[ The LFS I do most of my shopping at sells really great live rock that is completely covered in coralline algae and has lots of little life forms on it. So when I think of LR thats what I think of.

Ok good. I'm glad your not mad. I just had a feeling you might have been thinking "who does this kid think he is?" lol

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I dont have any complexes that Im aware off. We are all here to learn from each other. Sometimes the teacher becomes the student and visa versa.;) Luna

6. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I think its the pistol in your avatar that had me spooked. ;D

Sorry to derail your thread jottol1661. I agree with schackmel too, better to try politely first, and give them a chance to correct their mistake. Good luck getting them to help you out.

I think by stocking slower and using RO/DI water instead of tap, you should be able to get it cleared up. You might also want to test your water for phosphorus just to see what that is.

It's probably not time to do water changes yet. Make sure to test often and let the tests indicate when to start doing water changes. If you change the water too early you are removing bacteria that is trying to build up and it will take longer for the tank to completely cycle.

7. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Any updates?? How is the tank going? What have you done, and has it worked?