murky water in newly established tank why?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jottol1661, Dec 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

i used conditioned tap water. and the windows are always closed by the tank. i'm in canada and its cold and dark here this time of year anyway.

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Nobody is saying that his original cycle wasnt complete... but rather adding that much livestock in a newly established tank has a pretty good chance of causing another cycle.

4. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Oh another good negotiation strategy is to stay in the area. If they try to get you to go to the managers office demand he come into the store. They will be more likely to go your way when other potential customers can hear of your struggles.

5. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

At least RO water purchased would be a better idea in the future. You can buy it at most grocery stores until you can get an RO/DI unit.

6. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Sorry to say, but 2 weeks is not enough time for a complete cycle, esp. in a new tank. I dont know where ppl are getting this info from???? Luna

7. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

haha were having boxing week sales so its the perfect time!

8. Click Here!

9. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

the info came from the tests?

I think the reason people are getting such short cycles is because they are not scrubbing the live rocks before putting it in (and using large portions), and using water from an established tank.

What are we considering a "completed" cycle here anyway?

The cycle is complete when the algae and bacteria in the tank can turn all of the ammonia into nitrates, correct? If the bioload is small and there is a lot of algae/bacteria in the tank, it won't take long for them to establish themselves to handle the current bioload. Everything will read zero. Then it is just a matter of adding things in slowly to slowly increase the bioload so the cycle can keep up.

1 person likes this.
  10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

so sorry for your problems and all the crud you have been through. First thing in the morning like everyone said I would take back the fish, shrimp and at least half the crabs. As hard as it is going to be, try not to go in their screaming your head off (and I understand it is going to be hard...) But honestly you will probably get better results being nice and just stating the facts.......

state the fact that you trusted them, they knew the status of the tank, you are currently experiencing a bacterial bloom, etc. You go in screaming and hollering they might just put their foot down and not do anything. At least give them a chance to right their wrong. Maybe that employee was new and did not know better, maybe he did not know the size or the age of the tank...who knows. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

IF that does not work, then move on to the next step......but no reason to start out there first.

Good luck and spend the next few weeks on here reading and asking questions while your tank finishes cycling. Also stop adding tap water...you are going to have problems in the long run...more algea, coral problems etc.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

First off, water doesnt cycle, LR and LS does.
    A complete cycle is when Nh3 gets turned into No2 then into No3.
    You are right about the Bio-load and the bacteria catching up with it. Luna

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

the ann cycle always happens, but when adding new items its larger