murky water in newly established tank why?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jottol1661, Dec 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

i checked the ammonia like 3 minutes ago and it was at 0

2. Click Here!

3. Annie3410

Annie3410 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Thats good. They should make it through the night. Do you have a nitrite test? I would agree that at most you should keep one of the clowns, and if all goes well you can add another in a few weeks. Oh, and congrats on the new hobby, but find a better LFS to shop at, and NEVER trust everything they say without researching on your own. In the end, they just want your money.

4. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

i hope i dont get banned for saying this but the manager of the store or the head guy or what ever hes called is a real *****! can you tell me what i should say? haha sorry its just i used ALL my money on this. its their fault they said that the water was good for all this and brought me around to pick it all out. they are the biggest bunch of pea brains i have ever met. you cant trust anyone at a store these days. there all on comission which makes matters worse so they try and sell you everything.

5. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

yea it is all good. i will test nitrite and let you know. those are the only two test i have.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

thats a good thing, that element is the main one that will wipe out alot of items.

if possible check your nitrite and nitrate levels, nitrites are worse than nitrates, but both in high levels can hinder a tank. just keep checking them

you can do a 10-20% water change tomorrow, and all should be good. then recheck after a couple days for nitrites and nitrates

there seems to be no need to jam the items you bought down the lfs throat

most lfs's have given a bad taste in peoples mouth since they are a business and want to make money, but in this case, it seems different

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

another thing: as luna stated having your own test kits are a must in this hobby, when you get a chance check your Ca,dKH,Mg

they might have a part to the cloudiness

8. Click Here!

9. jottol1661

jottol1661 Astrea Snail

the point is that it is all their fault for this whole mess. everything seemed okay. i did my home work at least 5 times over. they said it was okay and the test said it was too. i'll just go over there and let them no i wont take no for an answer. the fish arent sick, and neither is any of the other stuff. they put them back in the tank water and tada their fine. sorry for venting to you. i had a bad feeling about this for some time.

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

For starters, go in there asking for the MGR. You just started this hobby and his employees sold you all this stuff knowing that you just started this tank. If he gives you a hard time, thats when you ask for all the phone numbers. "this will be the first and last time that you shop here. in fact, that you belong to many aquarium forums and they will know how they do business and not to shop here." And to top off things, you just spent all the money that you got from Santa. Remember to *****, lie, whine, get up-set, threaten to call headquarters, the whole nine yards. Luna

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

no problem, thats what were here for, but from now on ask, research or post prior to making any haste decisions

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

I don't see why his cycle can't be complete? Its been two weeks. Lots of people on here seem to finish their cycle and read 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 0 nitrates in 2 weeks time, if they add a lot of live rock and a lot of live sand. Including me.

I do think the live stock is a rather heavy though. I would have added ten little snails and ten little hermit crabs, since they are cheap.

The thing I am concerned about that I didn't see mentioned is where did you get your water from? Did you fill it up with tap water? Was it conditioned? ect. or did you buy RO/DI water from the fish store? Or bottled water?

If it is anything but RO/DI (reverse osmosis / deionized) it probably has phosphorous in it which can make the water cloudy. Also what are your using for lights? Are there windows open nearby? Natural sunlight will increase aglae blooms and the water will be green.