murcury poison from a broken thermometer?

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Reef Lover, Jun 6, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Zectra

Zectra Feather Duster

Hmmm. I would start by doing wc's to the tank, and see where it goes. Not really sure if it's mercury or not, I know they make thermometers with mercury, alcohol and some other stuff, not exactly sure what types. I would do some research if I were you!

WC is about all I can suggest! Depending on how far along your tank is, I would try changing the sand out as well if you are really worried about it!

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Ditto +1 :D

4. sauce-n-tank

sauce-n-tank Feather Duster

Thanks for the advice and i will keep doing my research. im just really happy with my tank and i dont want it to just crash on me in the
    future8)

5. moog

moog Plankton

broken aquarium thermometer

Magnet works a treat to remove small balls. Lead is not magnetic so no need to worry about lead poisoning. Probably iron so hopefully not too bad for water.
    Thanks for magnet tip.

6. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I had one break in my 20 gallon, and use dmy mag float to help get rid of the iron-alloy balls in thr tank or thats what the manufaxture said they were. no realy ill efects just remove as much of the balls as you can and switch to the digital thermoter ;D

7. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

yes... no mercury, no lead and no big deal :)

If there was lead, they would have to have a warning on it for the state of CA ;)

8. Click Here!

9. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Im not sure but would a product like Cuprisorb work? its used to remove copper from water which is just another type of metal.

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

There is no need to use any products like Cuprisorb. There is no danger from the small amount of metal that fell in the tank.

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

WOw no idea how this post came here?

12. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

My Oscars broke mine found it picked most out and said if you killed yourself I will feel bad but it already happened that was two weeks ago. And like it was said before if there was mercury in it the California Gestapo would already be at your house.;D;D