Multiple Tangs

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by dienerman, Aug 13, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

So it seems as if the general wisdom is not to have more than one of the same type of tang in the same tank. Ive also been told that one should avoid the same general body type to avoid aggression issues. That being said, I just watched the video from Mr Satltwater Tanks showing multiple yellow tangs and other tangs all together in a fairly small space. Have I misread the general wisdom or is there something else that Im missing here. I have a 180 gallon tank with a yellow and a powder brown tang. Id like to have more but I ve always avoided it to prevent aggression. Thoughts?

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I think in time there will be aggression issues with similar tangs in one tank especially if the ones you have already claimed territory. As far as the video goes, it's easy to cram a bunch of fish in a tank for a video and all look great but a month to month update would show a differnt story. If you have enough territory for everyone then I'm sure it can work but It's always a risk. BTW, powder browns are one of my favorites

Vinnyboombatz and Lovemyreef2015 like this.
  4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Tangs are schooling fish they are not solitary in the wild.With that said your tank is not the wild.;)

DSC reef likes this.
  5. dienerman

Always well said Vinny!! Your thought process is similar to mine DSC! I just watched that touch of yellow video or what ever it was called and of course my impulsive mid says "I want that!" That being said, general wisdom is usually general wisdom for a reason. No if I could just fill my entire house with water I would have room for every fish that i want! I think I'm gonna stick with my yellow and my powder brown and be happy with that......unless....... Nope... gonna stick with them! Thanks for the responses!

Swisswiss, DSC reef and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  6. dienerman

I was remiss in not reading the comment thread on the video prior to posting this.... Enough said. Glad I'm a part of this forum!

DSC reef and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Mikeyb

Mikeyb Bristle Worm

I have an 80 gallon bow and have three tangs, a hepatus, sailfin, and kole with no issues. they kinda all stay together its rather comical.

8. Click Here!

9. fishfinatic

fishfinatic Plankton

I hope you plan to either re home or upgrade. That's a lot of tang for that tank. Trust me I have always had a tank with a tank but made sure that the species of tang that I was keeping was best suited to my system. The kole would be fine but the other two are too much. Especially the sailfin. I have a 120 gallon cube and steered away from the sailfin because of its size.

10. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

I have a yellow and yellow belly regal tang in my 120....I would not add another tang in my system..... I purchased them both as juveniles....the blue tang has grown fast and big over the time and thought he is not actively aggressive, he definitely makes the other tank mates understand that he is the biggest/baddest fish around..... What iv noticed in keeping these larger fish, aside the swimming space requirements, is that they will out-compete shyer/smaller fish when it comes to feeding time. there are ways to get around this of course, but its something one should keep in mind when thinking about buying these animals IMO

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    DSC reef likes this.
  11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

No issues now, give it a year when the hepatus and sailfin out grow there space. Beautiful fish though.

Lovemyreef2015 and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. fishfinatic

fishfinatic Plankton

Both make excellent points. I have an orange shoulder tang in my 120 gallon tank and he is a juvenile and already he out competes a lot of my smaller fish like chromis,clowns, fire fish and my 2 inch fox face. They are truly eating machines and with that comes the pooping machines. While your tank can handle the bio load now I for see problems when you have 3 full grown tang in a 80 gallon tank.