Multichip DIY LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jtrasap, Jun 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

What are the total dimensions of your tank? Depth will have a lot to do with the chip you go with.

4. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

24" deep... Sorry for the dumb questions I'm new to this :(

5. tidus10

tidus10 Astrea Snail

And BTW guys if you want to make your drivers waterproof, invest in some plastic dip it now comes in spray can...

6. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

There's no such thing as a "dumb" question.

I checked out your build thread, very cool! With those dimensions I'd go with two 50w chips.

Great idea, I never thought of that.

7. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Yeah i heard back from the guy. he's only ordered the white and blue mix chips. Hes contacted the factory to see about new chips coming with more colors, but unless we can get an order for at least a few hundred of them, the odds of getting a few custom multichips like this may be harder than we think.

I'd like to see the difference between the 20,000k color chip and the super actinic hybrid chip they offer. Can always add some stunner strips or diy violet, red, and rb to add it it which is what im thinking. to get a cheap fix to the solution in lack of color.

8. Click Here!

9. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

Yeah, I think we're better off going with the "diy violet, red, and rb", that will give a whole lot more options down the road as to changing color. With the single multichip with multiple colors it's either all on or all off. With multiple 3w LED's of different colors you will be able to control the color as you want.

10. Joeogio

Joeogio Plankton

hey i have a question

hey i read your diy tutorial and i have read others about building similar 100w led setups and i want to build my own, but i have a few questions.

are you still using these lights? how are they doing? are you growing any coral under them? also what size of thank do you have them on?

i plan to put 3 of them on my 125 and one on my 40gb

nice thread btw ive learned alot thanks!!

11. canadachop

canadachop Plankton

Im building a 4X50w setup 2 10000k and 2 royal blues. My question is how do I put 2 LEDs on one driver. Can I just order a 100w driver. I dont really want to run 4 drivers but I will if I have to.

12. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

Just make sure the driver can handle the amps for the two leds