Multichip DIY LED

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by jtrasap, Jun 11, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

Thank You!

These particular drivers aren't dimmable but I will be getting some dimmable drivers in the near future so that I can run the light from the PWM ports on my Reef Angel. I just wanted to see just how low cost I could go with them. My thinking at first was that my MH's weren't dimmable why worry about it with the LED's but in hindsight I should have gone with the dimmable drivers.

2. Click Here!

3. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

Lens

Looks great! Where can you order lenses for the multichip led? Would two be enough for a standard 90 gallon with assorted SPS, LPS and clams?

4. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

I'm going to be ordering my lenses from Ebay. There are a whole bunch to chose from just search for "100w led optic" or "100w led lens". You can find a whole pile of them for between $5-$8 each. Two of them should be plenty for a 90g.

5. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

6. tosapaul

tosapaul Astrea Snail

heat sink

Still impressed - I am going to try one. Can you go into a little more detail on the heat sinks and where the fans are located. It looks like copper tubing to me. Any ideas on how to incorporate a couple of strips of colored LEDs into the setup would be appreciated. Low on creativity but can follow what you are doing so far.

Thanks!

Paul

7. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

The copper tubing is heat pipe. I was thinking about the same Q Paul. I think building an acrylic box with vents for the fan and exhaust would clean it up and make more mounting options.

There are many other heatsink and cooling options too. You could do a water cooled setup from gamer PCs too.

8. Click Here!

9. hingedthinker

hingedthinker Fire Worm

Btw i found 100w actnic, red, and green leds on ebay too.

10. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

Glad you like them, the heat sinks are composed of an aluminum base with copper heat pipes that run through it and then curve upwards and carry the heat up to aluminum cooling fins which are the cooled by air being pushed through by the fan. There are numerous other coolers out there I was just trying to go as cheap as possible and still get the job done. I don't think the copper will be a problem but I did put a sheet of glass between the lights and the tank just incase, and to keep spray from getting on the LED's. There are some all aluminum heat sinks and some that have the copper heat pipes but they are nickel plated.

I was going to try this as well, I have an olderpc water cooling setup but then I started considering all of the problem points with them. I've had one spring a leak in a pc and I've had two pumps quit on me. I'm still considering it on one LED though just for the 'cool' factor.

If you contact the guy I got these LED's from he can probably get you anything you want. He's even looking into having a single chip built with multiple colors in it for another guy.

11. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

Awesome now where can you find someone who can customize this. I know one person who has a source but he's going to be selling them. His have white, royal blue, blue, uv and some red. All in the same chip. It's exactly what I'm looking for my cube. But the guy I know who gets them won't reveal his source.

12. jtrasap

jtrasap Astrea Snail

Contact the guy in the Ebay link that I provided on page one. He can get you just about anything you want.

Are you talking about the ones coming out in the Orphek's?