Multi-vitamins in Reef tank

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by nedlin, Feb 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nedlin

nedlin Plankton

Hi everyone, I read somewhere that it is ok to add human multi-vitamins to a reef tank to supplement the corals diet. Is this something that is safe to do? I have boxes of the things that i have collected, if they could be put to good use in the reef and have a positive impact, that would be great. Any comments or suggestions would be really good, thanks in advance :)

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I can't say for sure but I sure wouldn't try it. Some vitamin C and Riboflavin (B12) sure.....but Zinc, Copper, Iodine, etc. Seems risky to me.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I wouldn't either. I would use preparations made for aquariums.

5. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I wouldn't even think about it

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

The only things ones tank would benefit from would be the B-Vitamins and Vitamin C. I would assume (HOPE) most people are supplementing their foods with HUFA's and Vitamins. Those vitamins that are made for reef tanks. For instance, you can pop some Vitamin C's in your tank...however, since they aren't stabilized to exist in saltwater, you need a LOT of them to overcome the almost instant oxidation. It seems to me, it's a whole lot easier to just add the proper HUFA's and Stabilized Vitamins.

7. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

I actually tried to put multi vitamins in my 35g when it was a fish only tank. It didn't do anything good or bad. That said, I would not try it in a reef tank, or even in a FO tank. I was like 13 when I tried that. At that age I also flipped my dirt bike over several times trying to go up a very steep gravel hill, so that might give you some insight. LOL

8. Click Here!

9. nedlin

nedlin Plankton

Hmm, decision made I think!!! I thought it sounded like a strange idea too. Stick to the proper stuff, thanks for your replies :)