"Mucus" forming on top of water

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by whiptofiz, Jan 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

I have a thin layer of what looks to be a clear mucus, of bubbles, forming a skin on the top of my water. It has a very high tensile strength, it is like a thin skin of bubbles that wants to stick to itself. I scooped off most of it last night and it has regenerated quite quickly. Anybody know what and why this is going on? All tank residents and corals are doing great! I have not checked levels yet, but the tank is over a year old and 4 days ago everything was great. Nothing has been added or taken away. :confused:

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Its protien based waste held there by surface tension
    increase water movement at surface and that will solve it

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. Bloodkip

Bloodkip Ritteri Anemone

Is there enough water movement near the top?, you should point your powerheads upwards, toward the surface.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

First I would check to make sure all pumps are in working order.

A film on the waters surface usually indicates a lack of flow and surface agitation.

Next I would change out carbon and place new carbon and clean any mechanical filtration like sponges, floss.....

Lastly I would do a water change.

I think you are at risk for low O2 levels and that could lead to big problems. Why it is happening now I do not know, but check overflows, and pumps first.

Good luck

1 person likes this.
  6. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

I have one pointed directly at the surface, and a filter that skims from the top. I run a protien skimmer (which is working great). I suppose i will put my other powerhead closer to the surface. Its just that everything has been fine for a year, and all of a sudden this?? Weird..... Thank you

7. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

Thank Coralline. I'm gonna clean all my heads, uv, protein and my canister. I always run carbon but it is due for replacement and your givin me the kick i need to get of my a** and do it! I'm slacking in the husbandry section i guess. Thankfully my tank told me nicely.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Also, in the mean time, paper towels are your friend. Drop one on, let it get wet and throw it away. Repeat until surface is clear.

See if your brand of skimmer has a surface skimming attachment that you can buy. That will solve this problem forever.

1 person likes this.
  10. whiptofiz

whiptofiz Fire Worm

Cleaned a bunch of my gear, replaced carbon. Looks like everything is thumbs up now. Thanks all

1 person likes this.