Mrs Wages Pickling lime and baking soda

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by generic_411, Mar 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I don't really agree. IMO, the mentioned alternatives to IO (Instant Ocean) need supplemented Cal and Mg as well. Why pay more if you still have to do it?

IMO, it's cheaper to supplement more Cal/Mg with a salt mix that has less than it is to supplement less with a more expensive salt mix that still doesn't have desirable ranges.

Remember, when you do a water change, the salt mix has to make up for its own Cal/Mg ratios while simultaneously making up for depleted Cal/Mg in the remaining water. You will still have to dose!

So I go with the cheaper salt mix...

That's just how I do it. Rob's way is correct too.

2. Click Here!

3. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Either really. Compare it's price per oz to the link I posted... Kents is pretty expensive in comparison.

With the BRS stuff, you have to mix it, you just get the dry stuff. But it makes gallons and gallons of the solution. It is way cheaper.

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Its all personal pref--JFYI--I tested oceanic and Instant ocean side by side--Oceanic tested 460 ca and 1300 mg---Instant Ocean tested 330 ca and 1050 mg--Just what I found. P is right also neither will make up the depleted levels all the way--but maybe that is why my KENT bottle of cal has lasted so long--hahahahah LOL

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

nice! ;D and good point.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mix 4 parts of baking soda to 1 part of the Boraxo laundry booster all washing soda is is pure borate and that is what will mix with the baking soda to raise and stabilize the Ph, Ca I simple would use calcium chloride an for magnesium I have always used Epsom salts . If you need a highly pure Calcium chloride P/M me