MP40w VS Anemone

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by Eddie, Oct 31, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

Does anyone els put the mesh over their MP40 at night in fear of an anemone going towards it and...well...you know?

My RBTA has stayed on the rock I set it on when I got it. It seems to be happy there, but I still don't trust it. Also, it seems that the MP40 makes such nice pulsing current, that if it did try to move it would not be a a simple task. In still tanks I think they must move more.

Furthermore, everything seems dandy, except the anemone has turned orange from it's original pink. Can't figure out why. I did change my lighting today thinking that the 420nm T5 might be doing it. When I replaced it with a royal Blue 460, I also noticed one of the 10kK T5's was not lit. I turned it a bit and it fired back up. So now I am running (on a 4 foot 65 gal, sump on the way) 4 x 54W T5: 2 X 10kK and 2 X 460nm, 2 X 36W 20kK LED Spots, Vortech and chiller. Specs are good.

Any input on the orange-ing?
    THANKS!

2. Click Here!

3. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

4. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

I fed it a scallop (1/3) 1 week after I got it. The LFS just fed it light ands it looked great. It was no doubt hungry. May I ask how often you feed one(BTA)?

5. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

Re: RBTA v.s. MP40 Vortech
    Pics of color change b4 and after:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGp-...i7vGsSvcX3xdjQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMCY...i7vGsSvcX3xdjQ

Furthermore, everything seems dandy, except the anemone has turned orange from it's original pink. Can't figure out why. I did change my lighting today thinking that the 420nm T5 might be doing it. When I replaced it with a royal Blue 460, I also noticed one of the 10kK T5's was not lit. I turned it a bit and it fired back up. So now I am running (on a 4 foot 65 gal, sump on the way) 4 x 54W T5: 2 X 10kK and 2 X 460nm, 2 X 36W 20kK LED Spots, Vortech and chiller. Specs are good.

Any input on the orange-ing?
    THANKS!

6. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

I wish I could help you out, bump

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

An RBTA is supposed to be... well... red. :D

Seriously, it appears it was partially bleached in the first video, and has regained some of it's zooxanthellae in the second. It may continue to darken over the next few weeks as it continues to recover.

8. Click Here!

9. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

Sorry, here it is today. Turned down current:

: anemone, mp40