Moving

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cgarner, Aug 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cgarner

cgarner Skunk Shrimp

As the title states, I will be moving very soon. My company gave me 60 days to relocate to the Bay area. With such a short window to sell a house and find a new one, I'm going to sell my aquarium. What I'm contemplating is should I sell it as a package or part it out. I wouldn't mind parting out some of the components (i.e controller, phosphorous and calcium reactors), but I would prefer to sell it as a package (at least the tank, stand, light, and all the inhabitants). Any advice would be appreciated. If you've sold a tank, what worked and didn't work?

Also, I'm in SLC so if there are in local people interested or know someone that might be hit me up. I plan to itemize all my equipment and start a new thread today or tomorrow so you all will know what I'm trying to sell. At this point I'm just curious what is the best way to approach selling an established aquarium.

2. Click Here!

3. Moby Duck

Moby Duck Purple Spiny Lobster

I think it would sell faster parted out but I also think its worth more as a whole.

4. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

+1

I haven't sold a system, but I regularly check to see what's for sale locally because I'm interested in upgrading to a larger tank.

I notice that a lot of people start by listing the entire system as a package, and then resort to parting it out to get rid of it (as their moving deadline gets closer, or their divorce gets closer to being finalized LOL).

I'm actually negotiating to buy a 340 gallon rimless tank with stand and sump, but the owner's ex-wife won't let him back into the house to take more pics of it for me so the sale is stalled. LOL I can't buy it without seeing the stand because if my wife hates it, it could cause a divorce in my household too. LOL But I digress.......

The process or parting things out seems to go very quickly from the ads I follow. Maybe start by trying to sell it as a system, and then set a deadline for yourself as to when you'll part it out. Just don't let anyone know your plans, or they will hold off until you are desperate and have to accept low ball offers.