moving tank!!!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ermano, Feb 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Hey guys,

Haven't posted in a while but things have been busy. Very busy. We will be moving within the week or so and this means that I will also have to move my 29g reef tank.

Along with the added stress of moving, it's a little unnerving with the thought of breaking down a tank and setting it back up looming over everything else. I want this to be as painless as possible. So this is why I'm asking the questions now and planning everything ahead of time so I don't run into a lot of problems.

As of now I have a rough draft for the plan of action, goes a little something like this:

Drain half of tank water into 5g buckets. Take all the live rock out and put it into the buckets. Take all the coral and bag them into separate bags, along with the fish. The bags with the livestock will be placed into styrofoam coolers to retain heat. Maybe add a few heat packs to each styrofoam cooler. Drain the rest of the tank and discard the water. Scoop out the sand and place in a plastic tote. Now that the tank is empty, take out all the equipment and break down the sump and plumbing. Place equipment/plumbing into another plastic tote. Take the tank and wipe down the inside.

Once at the new house unload everything. Prior to setting up stand and tank, I planned on cleaning out the sump and tank itself, just a quick rinse and scrape of any junk that has accumulated. I was wondering if I would be able to paint the back of the tank while I was doing this? How long would it take to dry usually? Once everything is clean, the stand would be set up and the sump installed along with the pumps and the skimmer. Tank would be placed back onto stand and the plumbing would be reinstalled. I was planning on also using completely new sand too. So I would put the live rock back in, add the sand and then add old tank water so that the tank is half full. Then add fresh salt water until tank is full. Acclimate livestock back into the tank and test everything to make sure everything is ok.

A few additional questions:
    1) What do I do about the corals that are attached to the larger pieces of live rock that I cant individually bag?

2) Would I be ok spray painting the back of the tank prior to setting it back up?

3) Would I be ok with completely changing out the sand once I move it? I doubt I would be starting a cycle. I was thinking something like oolite sand?

I apologize for the lengthy post but I just want to make sure I have everything straight before I embark on this adventure. Anything I missed please do point out, any pointers you guys can contribute would be greatly appreciated. :)

Adem

2. Click Here!

3. patrick824

patrick824 Montipora Digitata

There will be a mini-cycle at the least. It won't be necessarily dangerous but it will be there. The best idea IMO is to drain the tank but leave 2 inches of water over the sand and move the tank carefully as to not stir up the detrius. If you add new sand the biological process will have to mature the sand only by means of the bacteria in the live rock. You could definitely spray paint the back of the tank. I recommend Krylon Fusion. I would look into removing the corals from the large rocks depending on what corals they are. Would you mind listing them?

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You have a one to two hour dry to touch time on paint provided you get it covered completely the first time.

Changing the sand with the move is probably the best time. The only cycle you might have would be elevated nitrate until the bed repopulates.

I would put them in buckets by themselves or if you can get multiple pieces in without movement do it that way.

Sounds like a good plan. Make the new water up in advance at the new place so it will be one less thing to worry about.

I wish you the best on the move.

1 person likes this.
  5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

Thanks, I appreciate it. How long do you think my livestock would be ok for in a bag? Given that it takes 1-2 hours for the paint to be dry to touch?

I'm installing my RO/DI unit sometime during the week at the new place. So I have that set.

Well it would be ridiculously hard to leave 2" of water in the tank and try to get it across county about 30 miles without trying to disturb detritus. The sand seems like one of my biggest concerns. I have considered leaving the sand in though. Plus I'm not digging the looks of my sand right now anyways.

The corals that are attached to larger pieces of LR are a monti cap that's pretty well encrusted, GSP and a fairly large yuma.

I thought that the majority of the bacteria in our tanks were in the LR?

6. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

I moved 6 months ago and bagged everything up and my fish were in bags for about 8 hours, use the largest ziploc bags you can find or see if your lfs will give you some of the larger bags they use when they sell large fish and. I know mine will give me a few if aI ask. As far as corals mine were bagged for 10 hours from bagging to un-bagging, they were place in coolers for the move and while setting everything back up. I didnt loose any.

I agree with 2in10 about having water ready at the new place if possible.

1 person likes this.
  7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

That is a huge relief. Thank you very much for the advice!!

8. Click Here!

9. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

OK so moving day is getting closer...actually this sunday!! :0

So I have my checklist with everything that I need to do. Still need clarification on one thing...the sand. I just want to make sure. I bought some oolitic sand thats sugar size, I really like the look of fine sand. Will I be ok with completely replacing the sand? I just want some more opinions on this...thanks!!

1 person likes this.
  10. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

I did this also back in oct.placed fish in H-depot buckets with tank water,corals/rock split up into a couple different totes.had some new water waiting for me..also added new sand and didnt seem to have any problems...everything seems happy to this day...on a side note..it will prob take ya all day or so to get it all back together...I thought I had lost one coral through this,but it made a full recovery..HTH..good luck..

11. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

you can move large specimens in 5gal buckets and coolers as well... I moved a huge Red belly Pacu and it's Pleco buddy in a 35gal coleman cooler once.