moving my tank help!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Row2fer, Dec 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

Ok, I have new question. I am making space this weekend so that I can proceed with construction the following weekend. this means I have to move my 120 into my bedroom...YIKES!!!

I have a 60 gal hex set up currently next to my 120 and cycling the water from the 120's refuge...I feel this will be a good spot to place my corals, fish and other critters in until i get it set up in the other room, they will be in the same water they are used to.

I am curious...i have a ton of sand in there so will probably have to get most of it out in order to lift the tank...will I be able to set it all back up and have it all running in the same day. Never moved it before so I am thinking if will be fairly murky after stirring the sand all up...maybe toxic??

anybody that has moved a tank this size... I would love some preventative headache advice :)

thanks,
    Bill

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, the best piece of advice is to have an action plan and be prepared. This will enable you to get the job done, most efficiently and effectively with the least amount of stress brought upon to your livestock.
    You are going to need bins, buckets etc. to store your livestock, rock and substrate.
    Basically, the aim for you is to use as much of the water from the old tank and put into the new tank. One VERY IMPORTANT tidbit, make sure you have saltwater prepared to add to your new tank at the correct temp, pH salinity etc. before ou even start the move/switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Now that you have all this set up, you are ready to go-start by removing your coral/liverock and inverts. Place them in a bin with water from your existing tank. Then remove the fish and place them in a separate bin/bucket.
    Take as much of the water from the old tank and put it into another bucket. Now, remove the substrate from the old tank and put it into the new one.
    Slowly add the water that you have from the old tank into the new one while trying not to disturb the gravel(use an aluminum pie plate etc. to pour water on so that you get a gentle water flow and not blow the gravel all over the place and cause cloudiness.)
    You can now add the live rock to your new tank, then the coral, inverts and fish. Add some of the new water to your new tank to bring the water level up to the desired level slowly! (DO NOT) add the water that housed your fish/corals/live rock in holding while the switch was being made-polluted/acidic/low oxygen water etc.!!!
    Once all of this is done...if you are going to use the same powerheads etc. the best time to do this, and I would advise that you do thoroughly take advantage of this time to clean your equipment, would be NOW!
    Once the water is at the desired level, you may want to check your water parameters the following day for piece of mind, and keep an eye open for any changes in fish /invert behavior, coloration and eating habits to make sure they have made it through the switch effortlessly and under as little stress as possible. The same holds true with corals, anemone's and clams.
    The main thing, in addition to being prepared, is to keep as many variables constant as you can-no abrupt changes in water quality, coral placement, temperature etc. to alleviate as much stress as you can.
    One final note: try to stay as calm as you can...your livestock will thankyou for it, as it will go along way in the success and ease of the tank switch/move!
    Now, itwill be easier for you than It was for me as I moved 45 minutes away and was going from a 75 gal tank to a 125 as well as taking apart my 30 hex and setting that up at the new place.
    I lost nothing but one Acropora frag...pretty unbelievable, I think-I give my fish, inverts and coral alot of credit for resiliency and ability to make a move like that. The reason why I say this is that you will have no problem with your switch-just think it through, don't panic and be prepared!!!!
    Best of luck!
    This is it basically in a nut shell.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2006
  4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Very well explained!!! Its is not gonna be fun, and very stressfull, but if you plan it out, it should be succesfull. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

5. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

all...done...man that was a lot of work...grrrr

6. CodyW

CodyW Spaghetti Worm

I bet! Glad to hear it all worked out! Keep an eye on everything, moves aren't any good for a tank, especially if you have a sandbed IMO

7. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Congrats!! Did everything go smooth?

8. Click Here!

9. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

yes, everything went well.....thanks for the tips...having water ready was huge...other then my purlpe long tip anenome seems to be doing very poorly....and 2 fish are missing in action. I know they were put back into the tank...so I am hoping they are just mad at me.

Tank was pretty murky for the first couple of days, but it is back to its clear condition.

Thanks again,
    Bill