Moving a Crocea.. Opinions needed

Discussion in 'Clams' started by reefmonkey, May 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Large clams like Derasa, some Maxima, Gigas may not even attach to any substrate as they get larger. It is not uncommon for these clams to remain unattached once they achieve larger sizes.

Smaller clams like Crocea, the size of what they attach to is not proportional to the size of the clam. What ever they attach to only needs to be big enough for the clam to lay down byssal threads. Clams attach to keep themselves righted. Larger clams have may not have an issue with remaining up right on a level surface.

Clams can be exposed to air for short periods of time, and may be exposed to air in the wild at low tide. I have never had a problem exposing a clam to air for shorter periods. It's a good idea to burp the clam after exposure to air buy rotating them underwater to release any trapped air bubbles.

2. Click Here!

3. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I discovered if you let the water quality go to beyond bad they let go on their own.
    I discovered this due to the current situation with the 46 and the fact that I've allowed big salinity swings, took the fuge offline, sold the skimmer...etc etc.
    I was going to try and chisel the rock last Sat. and found he had let go. I moved him to a two month old 90 gallon. I have someone with a mature system that will buy him if he begins to show signs of passing but so far he's been very happy, big old floppy mantle and all.

1 person likes this.
  4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Well that is one way, ummm, ooops. Hope it all goes well.