Mounting DIY led light over tank...

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by E-rock, Aug 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. E-rock

E-rock Plankton

I have built a 24 Cree led light on a 16"x4"'heat sink...I'm not able to hang it from the ceiling but I could get a hanging arm kit. This will be a rimless tank with a glass top. I was just wondering if any one has made leg mounts for their light project or has any suggestions.

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef!!! Do It Yourself projects aren't really my expertise so I'll let some others help you with that.

We are actually a friendly bunch so I don't want you to DYI (Do Yourself In) while waiting for the DIY (Do It Yourself) experts to help. The best I can do to help is to edit the title of your thread to say "DIY" and welcome you. ;D

4. Kpm8332

Kpm8332 Plankton

I'm in the process of building a fixture as well and I have thought of possibly using a tv wall mount for an old style tv. Flip it upside-down and mount it to the wall. I have a few weeks before I will be able to hang mine. Good luck

5. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

You won't want to use a glass top. It filters out too much light. I can't remember how much light you lose through the glass, but someone will chime in with the number. Use acrylic or run it open top

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

6. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Or use the clear mesh that I have seen people use and recommend. I can't remember where it was purchased though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

7. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

The screen/mesh kits can be purchased at Bulkreefsupply.com

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I think this is a great option. It allows to suspend over the tank, and you can raise and lower it very easily. whether it be for maintenance on the tank or for acclimating corals.

AquaticLife Stand Light Fixture Hanger