Mounting corals on back wall

Discussion in 'Coral' started by blackraven1425, Nov 11, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I used a lot of superglue and placed it right on my overflow. I did not lower the water level. Just push and the skin will pop.

2. Click Here!

3. Maksimsf

Maksimsf Banned

What about light? I'm using PC 130W on 29G, do I need to tilt it little bit towards back wall?

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I imagine that if you have normal direct lighting on the back, you're fine and don't need to tilt it.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I have GSP on one corner of my tank and it just transfered from a rock over to the back glass. In the middle of my tank I have a money green hammer, a Brite green Frog Spawn and a brite green Hammer.

All are mounted in a PVC bracket and held to the glass with 3 rare earth magnets. The bracket is made up of 1" PVC pipe, 1-1" T, 2-1" 45's and 3 threaded adapeters. The bitt ends of the coral slides down into the adapters, I used threaded becasue I can make the hole smaller if needed by using a 3\4 or 1\2" adapter and the threads tend to hold the corals better.

I do not have a picture of it right now but will get one up when I go home tonight.

6. TruespeedEM1

TruespeedEM1 Skunk Shrimp

can we see pictures of this from whoever has done this? Thas an idea i've never really thought about!

7. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

You might need to adjust your lighting at some point, depending on your tank and how much coverage you want.

I went from two zoas on my overflow in mid summer to a colony of about 50 now, and counting. The trouble is, they are growing in a horizontal band. I guess that's their ideal lighting "band" and they aren't ready to spread higher or lower than that. Maybe once that band fills in, they will spread vertically as well. If they don't I'll adjust my lighting.

8. Click Here!

9. doylef4i

doylef4i Bubble Tip Anemone

Look on ebay from magnetic frag plugs.Thats what I did and it worked great for me.Had a 4 inch colony of purple monti cap growing on it.I'll check to see if I have a pic later.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Not a great picture but you get the idea. Problem with the GSP is it grows over the spill gate, so I have to cut it back and it grows on the outputs.

[​IMG]

11. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I'm growing GSP on my back glass. There's a thread on it somewhere.

I had solid purple wall and used super glue.

The trick is to do a small piece of coral. Once the coral grows it will self attach much better than the super glue.

In fact, about 9 months after I put the GSP up, one of the three pieces I superglued up came off (I threw it away). But the rest was self attached...

My "inside" mag-float is solid purple and covered in those snails with threads and tubes (name is on tip of tongue). I have been thinking about gluing a blasto frag to it and keep using it. I don't ever take it out to clean it...

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I found some magnetic frag plugs from aqua-mags.com . I got a trio, and I'll see how well they hold. I've got a red monti cap frag that I'm gonna put on one in the back of the tank, and I don't know about the other 2 yet. I figured I'd get them in case I find something else to mount. Maybe an encrusting monti or two? I have a sunset that would be cool to have across the back of the tank.

I think maybe a chalice on each of the side walls of the tank? Let it grow out onto the glass for the next 15 years, and it'll look fan-freaking-tastic lol. Can you imagine the amount of carbon I'd need to run with about 4 square feet of chalice? :p::)