Motion Motion Comotion!!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Dador, Feb 21, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jonathan

jonathan Aiptasia Anemone

that's a good article chetrod. i've read up on the carlson surge device before and it seems to be the most natural way of reproducing ocean currents into the home aquarium. you just have to find the space to place/mount the device above the tank, from others i've talked to who have implemented the device into their systems say it's awesome (corals have never been happier). only problem is the noise, apparently it sounds like a toilet flushing 24/7. cheers.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Noise and salt creep! :)
    But they are cool. There is a link to make one in the DIY section of the 3reef links library.

You guys bring up good points. These are all different types of wave devices. I don't think you can say a carlson surge bucket, a wake2k and a wavebox are the same or provide the same type of water movement.

Wave2k video:
    http://www.wave2k.com/movies/w2k1.wmv
    http://www.wave2k.com/movies/w2k2.wmv

Wavebox
    http://reef.peterlin.us/movies/TunzeWaveBox2.wmv

That is a good point!

5. jonathan

i agree with you on that matt. the wave 2k and the tunze i believe are very similiar in that the water flow tends to be a consistant "flushing" of the tank, but somewhat predictable depending upon rockwork. where the surge device somewhat plays the part of a "tide", by that i mean the water level constantly rising and lowering within the main display to provide a more natural movement of water. it also delivers a random surge (hence the name) to all of the corals, removing coral mucas and debris (i suppose both systems do this). the only problem i see is you can't really control the output if you wanted to provide calmer water movement at night (although i remember something about being able to do so with the tunze). i haven't had any experience with either of the set-ups, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

6. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

Thanks Thanks Thanks. Pulling a 180

Thank you everyone. I've finally made a decision. I called Mike at Wave 2k and he'll be making me a custom unit slightly narrower than the standard unit to fit on nicely on one of the faces of my Hex. I'll post a review after I've got everything set up.

Thanks Again.:) :) :)

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Awesome. Look forward to the review! 8)

8. Click Here!

9. jonathan

10. antonio101

antonio101 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use a Red Sea Wavemaster Pro Wavemaker with 3 maxi jes 900 in a 40 gl tank works grate for me

11. JAFO

JAFO Astrea Snail

Why spend all that money on timers or other items. All you really need is one power head mounted high in the tank pointing across the tank. Will give you all the mixing you need. Just what I have been told to do and it works great for me.

12. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

That's cool Let us know how it works out and perhaps a little video