Most rare SPS coral????

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by aquariaman, Aug 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Oh, almost forgot, if you want a really high value selling coral, you should get a Miami Hurricane chalice. It's got orange eyes, blue body, and green growth around the edges. Not to long ago, I saw a quarter size frag sell for $2000 on ebay.

2. Click Here!

3. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

I agree with you that the Birds of paradise is a great looking piece that grows fast when happy and is actually really hardy.

4. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

I will definetly think about the birdsnest. Btw what's garf??? I like the reef gun too!

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

garf is a copany that propogates, frags, cross breeds alot of corals and other things. Garf.org.

If you want chump change, get some fast growing SPS that have good colors and are Hearty. on my old 75, I would sell a bunch of frags regularly for $10-$20 no matter what they were. on swaps, I would bring home $500 or so out of 50 frags! Just because they are a Premium coral dont mean they will always get the premium price. only true collectors will be interested in the premiums.

on a side note, im very glad I sold my frags the way I did. in 2 weeks, I will get to add about 10 frags back into my new tank from my customers who are giving me clippings to restart with. I had nothing super special. pink and green birdsnests, Acro Valida, Bali Tricolor, Pocilipora, Montipora, Stylopora, blue, green and pink Millipora.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I think people are missing some serious advice. How long have you been keeping SPS corals in your system. What is your experience level, what is your daily maintenance routine? What equipment do you have for your system. I thought about propagating corals a couple times myself, but as in earlier posts, you gotta spend money to make money. I had 30 frags in my SPS dominated tank, and they are all growing, but slowly, because they are frags. Colonies tend to have better growth (if they are in a stale environment and happy) but they cost alot, and often SPS colonies can RTN quickly for little reason vs a frag of the same coral.
    Also i agree with many of the previous posts, rare is not necessarily sought after. One of the fastest growing SPS corals is the Idaho Grape Monti cap that always sells for decent money on ebay, but I can almost always find a cheap tyree flower petal, i dont get it. You should really get clued into your community. People in different areas tend to all like the same stuff. Where i live no one likes nice corals, everyone and there dog stocks brown zoas, leathers, and xenia, ergo, i hate them all. The LFS here won't order anything cool because it sits for months. Another part of the state everyone want acans. Talk to your reefers and ask what they think is cool.

7. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I am a huge fan of the ice fire echinata, that is one frag I had to buy...

8. Click Here!

9. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

ditto

10. Saddlebackclown

Saddlebackclown Plankton

I love those. How much are they normally?

11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

Over $200 a frag.... IF you can find it.

12. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

any encrusting montipora but particularly the superman or rainbow montis