MOST IMPORTANT!!! (vitamin b1 info)

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Dendak, Sep 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dendak

Dendak Astrea Snail

Im learning about thiaminase and how it effects fish that eat certain foods where this certain chemical is abundant. I have learned that Thiamine (vitamin b1) is broken down when frozen food is packaged and the longer it sits in your freezer the more of it is lost. When you remove the food and thaw it to food / as it heats back up, more of the thiamine is lost. In the end your left with a peice of food thats abundant in thiaminase (which most fish foods contain, crust. somtimes double ) furthur depleting the fish's your feeding of their current thiamine levels. I now soak my food in kent Zoe product to refill some of the lost vitamin B1.... and i must say i urge everyone to do the same. Which leads me to my next tid bit. I have a painted frogfish, hes a orange guy. I got him to eat a peice of soaked silverside the third day of him being in my tank. I then tried to feed him some more on the fifth day and i ahd no luck. I added 2 live ghost shrimp and he immidiately stalked them down and took them and the first two nights thats also what he ate. Anyone have some Frogfish feeding tactics or methods i can use / equipment to make it as stress free on this incredible little guy?