More EcoTech Radion Pics

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pmrossetti1

pmrossetti1 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

look at the new Ecoxotic Panorama. great fixture.

to me it's between that and the Mazarra.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The fixture looks nice. I am not sure about RGB fixtures though, they seem to be primarily for sunrise/sunset controlling. Thought the wavelengths from RGB fixtures (with all LEDS on) will be closer to what the sun pits out, than what we normally use. But of course it will still grow coral.

My feelings are so/so about this fixture.

4. Seano Hermano

Ecoxotic it is. ;) Personally, I think thee track system for the Mazarra makes it look clunky.

5. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

The red led is for more than sunrise/sunset. Many aquarists have speculated that standard led setups can't provide enough light in the red spectrum to bring out coloration in red corals.

6. Seano Hermano

I'm not whether I like sunrise/sunset enough to pay $3-400 more for it. Though I realize their market is high-end equipment.

7. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Mostly to grow algae :-/
    Red spectrum is used by plants and in hydroponic setups alot for growing purposes.

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

All spectrums grow algae and your phosphate/nitrate should be the limiting factor not spectrum anyhow. Red is still used in coral photosynthesis, just not nearly to the extent blues are.

10. Seano Hermano

...was just about to say that.

11. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It's funny that most people shy away from the idea of red LEDs so quickly. If you look at the spectrographs of the Radion and a industry metal halide, you will see that the halides we've been using for years have more red and green in them. The Radion is the first step in trying to get closer to that halide look with the LED power consumption.

Awesome pics by the way Matt.

12. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

+1 to this. And thatgrimguy made some good points too. The red spectrum is needed, just not to the extent that blue is. Leds only emit the spectrum they are made for, whereas flourescent and halide, although strong in the blue range, still emit a full spectrum. A led setup with blues and whites, literally won't have any red. People are finding out that the red spectrum is used by coral, and also helps coloration.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk