Moorish Idol not doing so well..

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by CBSurfrider, Sep 17, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I knew this going in, but my Moorish Idol is not acclimating at all to my tank. MY LFS had one and I knew from reading up on them that they are a hard fish to keep and even asked them why they had it. SO I worked a package deal for the Idol and three Bannerfish knowing the Idol was going to be a risk. At the least, I'll give him a big tank/home rather than it gets sold to god knows who. The fish hasn't ate at all since I've had him and the three Bannerfish swarm around protecting it from the other fish. He looks very skinny and I don't see it lasting much longer.. WTF any ideas? Under this post is a pic of where He hangs out all day long with his bodyguards around him.

2. Click Here!

3. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

They don't usually last, but what are you feeding?

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Chris, it could take a mixture of different foods to entice it to eat. Rods, LRF, Rogers are good fresh seafood to try out or take some fresh squid, clams and mussels and put it into a food chopper and try too feed with a baster near his hang out. Good luck bro.

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Sad to say Idol passed away this am. I saw this coming. I feed a variety of Dr G frozen products, Ocean Nutrition pellets, fresh seafood from store, nori sheets etc. I always thaw and use a Baster to make sure everyone is getting their share of food. Unfortunately for the Idols case it just went right passed him.

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Sorry bro. That's a fish that's tough to keep. You tried everything so that's all you can do. That's a fish I'll never purchase no matter how badly the wife wants one

CBSurfrider likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

I had one die on me and he was eating everything in the book. It looks like he was in competition with the other fish in the tank. Its almost like they have the mandarin effect as they search for food all the time or rather need multiple feedings too. Sorry for your loss.

CBSurfrider likes this.
  10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I should listen to certain people in the biz and ignore others.. This is so frustrating. I woke up this am to one of my Bannerfish stuck to the side of one of my powerheads...... He's dead. I have little blue green chromis in there that have never been sucked into my powerheads. If it's not one thing it's another. That "I'm throwing in the towel" thread is looking very appealing.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

This hobby can be very frustrating chris but don't let it get you down. The ups outweigh the downs my friend. I just lost a large colony of a chalice I've been growing for years due to an alk swing. This thing was about 6" across. Sorry for your loss bro. Let me know if I can help in anyway.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Dont be doing none of that towel throwing now...

The LRS foods are really starting to show their worth in getting picky eaters to eat. I use it religiously and it is one incredible food. I also swear by my PE Mysis too. this worked for my CBB. If I ever get a new tank, that fish is my Holy Grail. I have had success with a CBB.. so now the Moorish Idol.

DSC reef likes this.