Moonlights

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by kcbrad, Jan 4, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Alright, well this was fun! Lol I got a little information about moonlights, and a lot about many other things!

I must go eat dinner (at midnight, yes). Good night!

2. Click Here!

3. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

Good morning from snowy cold NY -

Just woke up and caught this forum thread, talk about excellent timing -
    I have a 24" Tek light arriving this afternoon that will be suspended over my tank because i like the open look better and am not a big fan of heat gain,
    humidity and like kc mentioned, big chunky hoods.

With that said, I looked at both the links in this post and the pricing is definitely RIGHT on the controller etc. - budget IS a concern but not a total limitation if it is a prudent investment that i can get a long life usage out of.

I have a couple of questions about the controller and wanted to ask it in context with what I currently run on my humble 29 gallon newbie tank - that way if i also have to order the power strip or other accessories i can.

I have the following equipment at the moment:

Aqua C Remora

Additional AC 50 modded into a little HOB refugium with chaeto and rubble in it (hey kc i use mine for filtering, and eat ROMAINE and field greens in my salad!)

Hydor Theo heater

(2) Koralia 2 units

that currently takes up 5 outlets - and none of those items need to be on a timer.

With that said -I will be adding the following:

Teklight = 2 outlets (need to be on timers)

possibly moonlights of some sort (on timer)

I really see the logic and flexibility of the controller package - since it hopefully allows for upgrades and expansion - for when I outgrow the newbie tank. I plan to eventually get a sump, refugium, etc and want to be sure i account for whats needed there.

There looks like a ton of "accessories" and add-ons to that controller. It all looks a little overwhelming. Which ones do i get for what I am currently using? I want to get the order right the first time and not have to place a second order for a crucial piece of equipment.

Does this line of equipment also have a computer interface?

Your help and feedback is appreciated. +K in advance

****In regard to chinchillas - kc - i used to own them too! i had the greys and a black velvet - wound up with a couple of the black velvet babies too. They are definitely too cute to eat. :) I am happy to stick with pizza :)

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Dont be overwhelmed. What I suggested would be perfect to use on your setup. If you like the way it runs then you can always add more accessories down the road.

I like the RKL because it doesnt need a computer interface.

When I ordered my RKL I got the level 3 package which comes with an extra power strip, temperature, and Ph Probes. I also run quite a lot of equipment so I needed it.

5. OnefishTwofish

Bama,

Thanks so much for the help! I think I am going to give these a try.

1 person likes this.
  6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

You'll probably get your controller before me, so make sure to post how you like it. I am excited for you!! :) They seem really cool, but since I've already spent a ton of money I'm going to hold off for a bit. But I want to hear how you like yours, to help me decide what to get!

7. OnefishTwofish

I am going to design a simple but decent looking way to suspend my Teklights above my tank with some decorative brackets etc - I have a sloped cathedral ceiling (an apartment) where my tank is so suspending them from the ceiling isnt really an option. I am going to document what I am doing and will share that with you.
    If it goes as i intend it to - it should look really clean and open yet be functional without the bulk of a wall mounted canopy.

I will shoot you an email with what I am planning to do in the event you want to do something similar. It appears that our tastes are somewhat along the same lines as far as an open look.

I design things for a living but am dangerous with most power tools - therefore I managed to bribe my father to come help install it. There is a reason i am the designer and not the actual contractor!
    (however the contractors seem to make more money - hmmmmm).

let me know it if is ok to send you an email or message and i will gladly share with you.

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Oh yes, definitely send me a message and let me know what you did. I am very interested! I bought foot brackets for my tek, but they aren't the prettiest things...however, like you, hanging from the ceiling isn't really an option. My ceilings are 10ft high where I'm planning on putting the tank, and I don't really want chains that long hanging from my ceiling.

So yes, let me know how it goes for you! Glad your dad is able to help out. Good luck!!

10. Beaun

Beaun Fire Shrimp

I enjoy the legs for my Tek fixture actually, they seem very sturdy and have an interesting look to them. Tek fixtures are tough for moonlights.

1 person likes this.
  11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

That's great to hear. They do look very sturdy. I think they are metal instead of plastic, if I remember correctly.They were like 60 bucks, so I hope so!

I don't know if I like the tough for moonlights part!! But thanks for your personal knowledge. Hopefully I can figure something out.

12. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Well I may have a different idea for ya...now not sure if this will work with your tek.as I have never seen the underside(where the bulb part is).. ok I was in auto zone this morning (car part store) getting some stuff and while waiting for the clerk to fix his comp I was walking around..and found these cool blue or white led square lights.they were like 3 inch squares with approx 8-12 leds on them(made for sticking to the inside of your car)good thing is they are 12 volts and flat..what that means is you can hook them up with any 12 volt power supply(from radio shack)and soom double sided tape...and they were only like 14 bucks..gonna go back for them sometime today..well just throwing stuff out there for ya..good luck..

1 person likes this.