moon light

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Newreef15, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

I think the lunar cycles have more to do with gravity (tides) than the lighting anyway.

2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

U know what would be sick if they made a moonlight that runs like a lunar cycle it got a little brighter each night until it was full moon then it darker every might and if they could some way tie this in with a wave maker that mimicked the currents during that part of the moon cycle that would be sick as hell

4. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

A few points. Your first point about "it's been proven. . . . " Proven by whom? And what to benefits do you refer? Again, "For some reefs, moonlight is even more important than sunlight." More important in what respect? What's the great benefit of moonlight? In the real world, the moon causes certain depths of the ocean to be "lit" and nothing more. The advertising executives with the blanket perception that "people are cattle, and beleive all they read" mentality, love these types of phrases.

You're in Michigan. I don't know if you dive, but I live in FL, and I've been diving since 1992. I've been on quite a few night dives. I can tell you definitively that even under a full moon, and perfectely clear visibility in the ocean--there is ZERO light under 17-20 feet of depth. Realistically, the moon probably does nothing more than let the life underneath know that it's no longer daylight. All this business that Coralife and the other manufacturers tout about "enhances spawning behavior in fish and corals" IMO is no more than creative marketing with no basis in fact. Like I mentioned above, if I accidentally leave my moonlights on all night, my trumpets and bubble corals fail to extend their sweeper/feeder tentacles. IMO, this can not be good for their health.

Your statement that "when fish are subjected to total darkness causes stress" I hope is false, or else my fish are more stressed out than a cardiologist who's been served.

Finally, LED's don't have an infinite lifespan. They last typically 50,000 hours. They're a basic PNP junction, much like a computer chip.

I'll agree that LED moonlights allow you to see what otherwise you couldn't, but I think factually, that's where the benefits end.

Agreed again, Luna. LED bulbs are to the real moon what a flashlight is to the sun. It's an artificial light source, and IMO, at best--simply allows us reefers to view our tanks after lights-out.

"More to do with. . . " is hard to quantify--but you're right in knowing that the moon is directly and soley responsible for the tides in earth's oceans. Surely, LED's for our tanks have nothing to do with tides, and again--are simply a light source to view your tank at night.

5. cdeboard

cdeboard Montipora Digitata

I have moonlights that stay on ALL the time... they are not visible of course when the halides are on. My candy coral will not extend its feeder tentacles in the actinics only but will once the actinics go off and the moonlights are the only thing on. Although I have not tried it in just pure dark, just putting in some information. It is different.
    I have seen mandarins breeding in someone's tank on RC in moonlights.
    I love my moonlights and the shimmer, fish dont seem to mind it either.

6. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Well, I guess the same way you may say T5 or any other light bulb does what the sun does. There are creatures sensitive to the low emission or spectrum of the artificial moon light, all the way down to the micro level. No debate really, light is light and it has an effect on things.

7. Newreef15

I agree with reefsparky I have been on a few night dives my self I also live in south Florida as a matter of fact I am going diving tomorow for lobs should be fun

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

12 spineys per person everywhere but the Keys--they're limited to 6. Will be satisfying indeed. I'm gonna look that lobster in the eye and tell it, "I see butter in your future!"

10. Newreef15

LOL I can't wait what part of south Florida do u like in if u don't mine when my tank mature if u want we can trade frags

11. Newreef15

Sorry live I am typeing on my iphone an it changes the words I hate it

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Nice.....this is going to be my 5th yr that I will miss this event. Something always comes up. Have fun and be safe........every yr some ppl dont get to see the next day. Catch the first one in my name;D

Luna