Montipora help

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by PghSteeler, May 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Just picked up a good sized piece of montipora digitata, not sure the official name or color variant but will post pictures. My question is what to do with it. The lfs had it from a local owners home tank and had the base buried in sand instead of mounted on a fragplug or liverock. Obviously these the part that was in the sand is white and dead.

Should I just mount it as is on the rock or should I frag it into the healthy tissue to help growth and prevent disease?

Also had him break off a piece of green birdsnest that almost looks metallic gold when out of the water. The mother colony was huge and needed a lot of thinning out and had the typical shaded dead skeleton throughout the whole middle of the colony. SHould I also cut the piece I got into the healthy tissue with polyps or just leave as is? Hoping it will get along with my pink birdsnest without warfare.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would remove dead white skeleton to the montipora. Let it acclimate to your lighting and then mount it to a piece of live rock.

Any of the corals with dead white skeleton you can frag up using super clue, and that is what I would do with a couple pieces.

Moved to----Sps Corals.

4. PghSteeler

Thats coralline, thats what I figured I should do. Wasnt sure if leaving it be would allow the living tissue to encrust and regrow on the old skeleton easier.

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yeah your instinct was right.

Algae loves to grow on dead sps skeleton when possible.

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

it will eventually regrow, but fraging the healthy can spur growth.

7. PghSteeler

Forgot about the algae loving dead skeleton part!! Because of how the skeleton and dead tissue was I had to frag the montipora into 3 pieces but Im sure theyll all grow back together.

8. Click Here!

9. PghSteeler

Man, going to be a little while before I can snap a picture. That montipora slimed up like no other!

10. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

yea they slime up quick you have to be ready to move fast!