Montipora capricornus bleaching

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by playb4work, Sep 24, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. playb4work

playb4work Plankton

Hi everyone, I have a red Monti cap that suddenly went white on me. I obviously guess it is bleaching. I am trying to find the root cause. Nothing in the thank has changed in the last 6 months. The lighting has remaned the same, all paramathers have stayed constant( nitrate 5ppm, phosphate 0.08ppm, ca 425, mg 1280, Alk 8.7). No other corals have seen any changes. The speed of which this has happened seems very fast, 48 hrs at the most. Is there anything that can be done to save the Monti, does anyone have any idea why this could have happened ?

Thank you

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Lighting type please?
    You have not added anything like GFO, Carbon, Bio-pellets?

4. playb4work

playb4work Plankton

The lighting is maxspect LED. The last product added was some purigen by seachem about 5 days ago.

5. Elliott

Elliott Astrea Snail

caps have bleached in my tank for no apparent reason, seems to occur as they get large, I then I break off the remaining good pieces and they grow fine, all other corals are fine, parameters fine, no other problems, have no idea why this happens, even have caps a few inches away that are not affected, weird

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would take out the Purigen then. I have used the product and never ever had any negative reactions, but since that is the only thing added or changed then start there. Have any temperature spike lately?

7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

It was the purigen. With LED's for some reason, products that make your water more clear has a far greater affect on lighting with LED's than it would say MH or T5. Don't ask me for sources because I don't have any, I have just had some experience with this. When I add carbon, gfo, or anything else to my tank, my caps immediately bleach as well as my other montis. I have never had this happen under pc, t5 or MH but it does happen under LED. I think that's why so many people get bleaching under them. Since I gave up on carbon, my color couldn't be better.

8. Click Here!

9. Elliott

Elliott Astrea Snail

hmm, I'll have to keep an eye on this, thanks ;D

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Do a water change or two and leave the purigen out.....will color up over a few weeks.

11. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

also is it bleaching or is the tissue falling off.

12. playb4work

playb4work Plankton

The temp has stayed constant at 77, I can't really tell if anything is falling off all this happened in the last 3 days. I didn't touch it, nor did I move it. It is still in one piece, but I imagine this is normal.