montipora/Acropors pollyp extension

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by reefnut1, Jun 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

My acroporas almost always only have polyp extension at night. I have 5 different ones. They are growing at a reasonably fast rate and all of them show good color. I would like to see more PE during the day if possible.

Also I am getting very little PE on my montipora digitas (4)and almost no growth on them at all. The exception is my superman montipora is growing fairly fast and is getting PE during the day.

I have about 250 gallons within my tanks and sump. 250 metal halides with 10 k bulbs (XM) VHO and pc actinics, Tunze turbelle power head and several MH1200s. I have about 8 fish with only a suspect bicolor angel in the tank. I have seen him nip at zoas but nothing else. Skimmer is MRC3

Tank parameters all seem normal. I dose with 2 part solution and my system is about 3 years old.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>> How much flow do you have on them????

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

My sump return to tank is about 1600 gal per hour with a 3 foot rise. I have a 1600 gal per Tunze flowing the other direction and I have 3 MJ 1200s on a wavemaker and a koralia 3 going all of the time. This is in my 120 gallon aquarium.

Nice pictures BAUGHERB

Also I should mention my montipora caps do really well I have an orange, green, and purple. The Digita ones which are said to be very easy just will not show any PE or growth in my tanks

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Hmmmmm. Maybe their just stubborn.... LOL!!!!

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

What is normal to you and when was the last time you tested??

8. Click Here!

9. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

PH 7.9 morning 8.1 afternoon
    CALC 430
    ALK 7.5
    MAG 1400
    Nitrates 0
    Temp 81
    I have been testing every couple of days lately. Most test kits are Salifert
    I have been dosing Kalk at night for about a week now trying to stabilize my PH a little more. About 3 weeks ago my ALK slipped to 6.5 but is currentlyat 7.5

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I run my dHK at 12 to14 and have great luck with it. Most say that is too high but it works for me. The only other thing I would look at is how old are you bulbs?

11. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

Metal halide bulbs were bought in Feb of this year. The pc are a couple of months old and the VHO is about 9 months.

I am going to try to raise my alk up to 10 or so but I understand that I have to do that slowly.

Is there another paramter that I should be testing for that could be causing my problems?

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Mg, dHK, & Ca is the main ones I test for. I only dose Strontium and Essential Elements to my tank as I run a Ca reactor. How old is your two part solution?