Molting Anemone! I know it's not really Molting.

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by RoloSaez, Oct 22, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

My anemone has been laking it's vitamin D. I ordered lights awhile back sold my old ones faster than expected. So the tanks been dimly lit for the last 30 days. I have an LTA that i believe is pale looking, but otherwise seemed healthy. Today I noticed tentacles that were on the sand bed. It's on the move again. I think my Maroon Clown is trying to hard to help it out. Not really sure. Lights will be here Saturday I hope.

Yesterday it looked like this.
    IMG_4798.jpg
    Happy Clown
    IMG_4799.jpg
    Clown: I love you Anemone
    IMG_4800.jpg
    Anemone Tentacles on the sand bed?
    IMG_4805.JPG
    What the Heck?
    IMG_4807.jpg
    IMG_4805.JPG

Am I just being paranoid?

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

it looks to have lost its zooxanthellae algae - what color was it originally? It looks like it's still kickin' though so hopefully the new lights will be helpful. have you been feeding it? My old eyes can't see the tentacles on the sand

4. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

Darker green. The tentacles in the sand are the small bits of green in the picture.

5. oldfishkeeper

oh, ok I do see a couple of pieces now.......I wanted to mention although it's probably "mr. obvious" but be careful with the new lights and the potential for too much light - my guess is that the anemone will tuck itself in a shadier spot if it's too much

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

So the loss of tentacles shouldn't be a concern? I know I would have to start the lights on a lower setting and increasing them slowly.

7. oldfishkeeper

My guess is that the nem is stressed and the tentacle loss is a result of that.....that is unusual though.....I am really just guessing on that rolo

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clowns will bite the end off anemone tentacles, it's just what they do. That large of a Maroon Clown can also stress an anemone to the point of death by being over passionate with it's desire to reside in the anemone.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

In pic #5 ("What the Heck?"), that's normal behavior. Nems tend to close periodically to exchange water, expel waste, etc.

11. RoloSaez

RoloSaez Millepora

He is definitely in love with his Nem. So I'll just keep an eye on it. He also killed some smaller nems in the past. I think that was the issue I was having so I finally broke down and got him a bigger one finally.