Mogul or double end MH?

Discussion in 'Metal Halide Aquarium Lighting' started by mandarin11, Feb 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Ok so know that I know I'm going with 250 watt for the new canopy over the 135 I need to know the difference between mogul base metal halides and double end, or is there one. Does one work better than the other or something?:confused: I want to keep clams and the tank is 24".

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Double ended gets more power (250watt DE's actually run at about 320 watts) and need expensive ballasts to run and lenses to prevent UV damage. SE have more choices, need no lens/cover, and use standard ballasts, but do not get as much power as DE's. Many use SE's for simplicity and cost. DE's are also popular because of their extra umph and their designation as european :-/

1 person likes this.
  4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Didnt know that, thanks. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.;D

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

So your not smarter than a 9th grader?

Foxworthy will NOT be happy.

6. Crabby Jim

Crabby Jim Sea Dragon

I disagree with the "no lens idea" if any metal halide gets splashed with water while running it will shatter I would always use a lens over a reef. Double ended MH lamps called HQI are better in a fixture because of the power vs size aspect. For example a 250w MH HQI Lamp is less than half the size of a 250w MH mogul base lamp so you can make a smaller sleeker fixture by using HQI lamps. You can use an electronic ballast for either style that is more efficient and cooler running . Mogul base lamps vs HQI lamps for a reef will cost about the same. If you are building your own lights Mogul parts might be easier to find. Good luck ;D

7. mandarin11

Thanks you guys.So I guess it comes down to whether I retrofit or not. If I retrofit I'll go with mogul, but if I get a fixture I'll get the double ended. Hmmmm. Seems like all the more reason to go with a fixture and not do any work to me.;D

8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Agreed, but not everyone has $ to afford elec or HQI ballasts, so SE becomes alittle more practical for those. I got a PFO dual 250 ballast for the price of 100 dollars from a friend. 100 dollars would even get me half of a magnetic HQi ballast or a elec ballast. SE's are used as lighting in many commercial/residential/commercial applications. Therefore, the ballasts are cheaper because of supply/demand. You can use an m58 ballast to light your football field or your aquarium. HQi are smaller and stronger than SE's. but the bulbs cost alittle more $.

10. mandarin11

This is true. Thankfully for us broke people there is aquatraders.;) I've bought a 48" light hood from them and it was fine and I haven't seen many complaints about the newer MH hoods so I think if I get a fixture, which is probable, that will be the one I go with.:)