Modified Carlson Surge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Scott Osborne, Jan 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Thats the thing about this 2 tank design.... Nobody knows until it's tested, but I believe that it will not have the kinetic energy that a single chamber Carlson would have, and so might lend itself better to a smaller setup. It would be a longer laminar flow, as opposed to the turbulent flow of a huge burst from the likes of the Carlson. At least thats my theory... Now whether or not the glass would be fine with the contant change in pressure over years is another story. Kents tank is built like... well... a tank. And the typical store bought glass tank might not take the stress as well. I know that several people have had catastrophic failures with surge devices running for a period of a decade... Not fun.

2. Click Here!

3. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

The glass seams are one thing that I worry about with surges. Really it cant be good for it. Over the course of years I would suspect it takes its toll. Like Jason said I highly doubt anything could mess up Kent's tank. It seems pretty bullet proof. It stood up to all the draggin it around we did when it was being epoxy coated.

4. JasonSquared

No glass seams has it's benefits!

5. Dador

Dador Coral Banded Shrimp

That is so cool! Thanks for taking the time to put that together and posting it!!!

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You guys get a chance to try the two tank method?

7. JasonSquared

No everything is already plumbed for the 1K tank. So it would mean undoing what has been done. If Kent can't stand the bubbles, then I don't know, he may try it... But I am toying with the idea for my 55 gallon that I am setting up.>> It would be basically the same as a closed loop, but in surges. The first tank would be just a 5 gallon bucket, and the second would be a 3 ft high tank of some sort that would be narrow... The height is to increase the kinetic energy of the second tank... I need to mock something up, but life i crazy right now, so sad to say it might just get shelved....

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I think once this tank gets running and he has coral in there with bubbles stuck to it all the time he will want to get rid of the bubbles coming in. May not though, everyone is different.:-/

10. Scott Osborne

I think he wants the bubbles stuck to the coral.

Kent's been in it for a bit so I think he knows what he likes. But we shall see. Regardless of what happens it has been an experiance to be part of this project.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It is nice when you can stand back and enjoy all the work.. ;D

12. Scott Osborne

I would say that I've only contributated 20%...But its still nice.