Modified Carlson Surge

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by Scott Osborne, Jan 13, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You mentioned that there will be 3 more, are they all going in the other 3 corners? There has to be a way to get the bubbles out. Once the syphon starts does it do all the way to the bottom on the tube by #11 before it quits.

2. Click Here!

3. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

Yep once the siphon starts they dont stop until it sucks air. Dr. Carlson has always said the downfall is the bubbles. But like I said the tank owner likes the bubbles. He says it makes it look more real.

And yes there will be surges at all corners.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Have you tried to put a trap in that would hold the water and let the air out the top. This is a crude and fast drawing so don't laugh.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

5. Marlin65

Marlin65 Astrea Snail

Looks great lots of water.
    I don't mind looking at the bubbles but would be concerned about the salt creep.
    That trap might work.

6. Scott Osborne

Scott Osborne Feather Duster

I will try a mock up. The only problem that I see is that the extra piping will create additional backpressure on the u pipe at the top of the surge that will require a larger air pocket before the surge will fire. Theres always going to be air in the lines. Thats how it works.

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Maybe attach #8 to both sides of the trap then back to the holding tank to see it will equalize and let the air exit when the water rushes in. Just rattling my brain..:dizzy2:..I will try and work on a couple things tonight if the kids leave me alone. Has to be a way for the water to push the air out before it enters the tank.:-/

8. Click Here!

9. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Yeah Kent -the guy who built this has had difficulties getting the air mixture just right... If it's not just right it doesn't work and equalizes. I personally think that the flow, ( one of Kents engineer friends estimates 75 gpm ) will keep a bubble trap from working.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Tty there are far better ways to build this then using a old timey public toilet flushing mechanism .. And you can get 90% of all the air bubbles out also Some are a good thing.. What so many like to call a Carlson surge device is nothing then more then a 100 plus yr old self flushing toilet tank used in old public bathhouses and parks and such. Some aquarium keeper in Hawaii hung his name on it .Like the stand pipe guy did. We had two 150 gallon Carlson's on a set up that the place I worked for installed year's ago we replaced them with my design them and they loved it far far less bubbles and a solid stronger flush /surge no sound's of sucking .. and they alternate one side then the other.. Its the siphon on these set up that causes the bubbles and you can't really control them to much or you loose the siphon. If you want I'll tell you how to build it 10.00 for parts

11. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

another method that would benefit a large tank would be an algae scrubber, filters and makes waves. with minimal bubbles.

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Two thumbs up Scott!!!

:thumbs_up:thumbs_up