Mixing Clownfish and Damsel Fish?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by yptozmy, Dec 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

Anyone know how to successfully mix a pair of clowns with a pair of Damsels?

Right now I have a pair of damsels, and am wanting to buy a pair of Clowns.

Please only post a response if your absolutely certain or have done this before with success...

Many Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Screw it, I'm posting a response...

Believe it or not, clowns are actually in the same family as damsels. There are 3reef members that have damsels and clowns with little to no trouble. I feel that you would ok in doing this, but the fish will still size each other up and possibly fight during the first couple of days. Once they establish territories and live with each other long enough, they should be fine.

Although there's always an exception. It's possible the pairs would get along right from the get-go. But then again, they could be fighting constantly.

What size tank is it?

4. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

29 Gallons.

5. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

First, look over the myriad of different types of Damsels here; Damselfish: Blue, Yellow and other Types of Damselfish Species for Sale
    and let us know exactly what type you want to put with the Clown Damsels.

6. yptozmy

yptozmy Bristle Worm

I have 2 of the three spotted Damsels at the moment. I am wanting to mix them with 2 False Percs, in a 29 Gallon tank.

Thanks!

7. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

My son has 2 false perc clowns and a stripped damsel. The clowns harrass the damsel consitantly. I would not recommend them being mixed IMO.

8. Click Here!

9. pecco22

pecco22 Peppermint Shrimp

I would NOT recommend mixing them in a 29. I have a 75 gallon tank that had 3 damsels and 2 clownfish. I now have 1 clownfish and 0 damsels. I woke up one morning to seeing my clownfish in a corner with one of the three damsels attacking the .... out of him. I have the clownfish in a separate tank now trying to save him. so I say no.

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

The three spot (some call them Domino) damsels are very agressive. All in all it is not wise to mix them. If you want recommendations for some other fish to put in with the clowns let us know.

11. Trigger01

Trigger01 Plankton

2 damsels + 2 Clowns + 29g = Trouble!!

I guess it is quite hit or miss with the damsels and clowns. I have 3 yellow/blue damsels, 2 clowns, a sixline, and a royal gramma they all have their specific territory (ledge, hole, rock or crevice)and they leave each other alone. I have more problems with my tangs and angels going after each other!! But I also have a 150g tank, since you only have a 29g I'd suggest not putting the damsels and clowns together.

1 person likes this.
  12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I have a 37 gallon with one clown and one damsel (Springer's damsel which is a less aggressive variety). The damsel doesn't bother anybody, but him and the clown do fight. It's not horrible, most of the time there is peace, but they do get after each other a couple times a day. Sometimes I have to pretend I'm coming to feed in order to distract them and break up the fight. I'm currently building a 90 gallon, and they were a major factor in that decision. These two fish need a lot of space to coexist peacefully.