Mistakes I made as a Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by inwall75, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I removed a glass heater that was stuck in the "on" position and was trying to cook my tank. It exploded "in the air" while I was BAREFOOT!!!

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

While I would always recommend a refractometer, I realize many people financially have to stay with a hydrometer for a while.

I didn't check the accuracy of my hydrometer with a LFS's refractometer. I also didn't take good care of my swing arm hydrometer.

It was waaaaaaaay off and I didn't even know it. Even though the instructions say to rinse well after each use, I didn't always do that. I learned after that lesson how to take care of a hydrometer. Rinse it with tapwater and if you're storing it near your tank, always store it in a ziplock bag. Every other week or so, fill it with white vinegar for a half hour, rinse with tap or ro/di water, and put in the bag.

4. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

those are all great pieces of advice...i have also experieced the innaccuracy of a hydrometer that was not cared for....most people dont know this, i was one of them but hydrometers need to be cleaned to stay accurate. vinegar and hot water works well. My stuck on heater did a similar thing to me and shattered in my hand when i removed it and cut me bad enough that i needed 7 stitches.

my latest lesson was is.... ground probes are important! I had stray current going through my tank and am sure it was the cause for one fishes death. Install a ground probe if you don't have one already

5. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

6. bje

bje Long-fin Bannerfish

i like that... the "arm and hand coral"

7. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I was all excited that I got a sump and a new filter system... the Lifeguard series. There were slip fitting on either side of each canister and it said to glue them together. So I did... with silicone....

I turned it on... stood back very proud that it was all working. Then the pressure built up....

That was my first experience with a massive flood and the effects of back siphoning....

8. Click Here!

9. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

GSP and Anthelia on the main rock work ::) ugh, never again.

10. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Someone a lot wiser than myself once said: Smart people learn from their mistakes, but geniuses learn from the mistakes of others.
    After your bryopsis infestation, and the bryopsis I got from a zoanthid colony, I'll be very prudent when I upgrade.

With my first tank two years ago I naively fed aiptasia because I thought they were cool. They thought all this easy food was cool too, and they multiplied from about 5 to about 100 in a couple months.

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Mine was just getting started in the marine hobby should have just never ever started .. :)

12. Nicolehdz

Nicolehdz Astrea Snail