Mistakes I made as a Newbie

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by inwall75, Feb 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

I bought an established system insted of starting from scratch.

2. Click Here!

3. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Added salt directly to my fuge to raise salinity in the DT. Bye bye cheato an pods :(

4. SwimsWithFish

SwimsWithFish Giant Squid

ouch.:-/

5. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Wow have I lost a lot of hard earned money! Mistakes ranging from over stocking, stirring up the sand releasing po4 and wiping out ALL corals, putting metal halides over a tank without a chiller in tropical climate, over dripping sodium bicarbonate into my tank to buying cheap and inferior equipment, also using a canister filter as the only filtration in a fish only tank and placing the outlet tube under the water surface, next morning I woke up to all fish dead due to a lack of O2.
    Have I lost a lot of money, innocent fish and prized corals.
    One thing I've learnt is to spend the money, do proper research and have a lot of patience.
    "Go slow, let it grow" Matt Rogers (King Fish)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. MinimumPhase

MinimumPhase Astrea Snail

I ask because I'm currently using a canister filter. Has a bio-matrix from the LFS which grows aerobics as well as Seachem Matrix to house anaerobes, then carbon. Seems to be working well so far although I don't have many fish to produce a lot of ammonia. Would like to get a sump eventually.

7. Jay1982

Jay1982 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My biggest mistake was buying heaters that weren't shatterproof and placing them hap-hazardly in the sump. About 5 years ago I came home from work to find 100% of my corals dead and the water an absolute disgusting bronze tint because a heater shattered (never found out why). Luckily the fish survived but I lost a whole reef tank (135 gallons) of coral (SPS, LPS, clams).

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm sure this is listed... but I made a big noobie mistake last weekend... I was doing a water change and draining directly into a drain... Well I got a bit over zealous vacuuming my sump and rocks in the DT and removed 20 more gallons of saltwater than I had made up!!!

I had to rush to the LFS which fortunately carries a boxed seawater product that is ready to use... but wow... if I had been doing it on a sunday like usual instead of saturday they wouldn't have been open till tuesday and I would have been tempted to use improperly mixed salt water... (after reading about the guy who crashed is 2000gallon reef with an improper water change after a skimmer incident... well I learned from his lesson)

10. mrsavage84

mrsavage84 Feather Duster

Man.i have to thank all of you for telling those horror stories. I unfortunately started my tank before finding 3reef but now that I have it, i will always come here first with any questions or concerns. 3reef is a life(reef) saver.

11. ananemone

ananemone Astrea Snail

+10000

Lots of mistakees lots of solutions and lots of help, Very nice thread guys and I appreciate all of it. I am one of the luckies who had the internet and 3reef before beginning my SW venture and because of that i believe im going about everything right, lots of time and lots of love!

12. Nano24ryan

Nano24ryan Astrea Snail

Well being new to the hobby and starting my tank only 4 weeks ago I've had one aiptasia that I used aiptasia X on and have not seen anymore so that's good, but I've seen bristle worms and posted asking what I should do with them and get mixed responses from everyone on forums. Should I worry about them? Should I try to remove them or leave them in and try not to worry about them? I really don't want them in there as they look nasty, but I do not want to continue adding corals and have yet to add any fish. I wish I would have known to quarantine rocks and or start out with dry rocks so I wouldnt have gotten unwanted hitchhikers