Missing or dead or eaten cleaner shrimp

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by reiple, Nov 21, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

[quote author=birdlady link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=15#18 date=11/22/04 at 15:15:57] How much investigation is enough when purchasing livestock?[/quote]

Sue,

This, and in many other topics, is where science and experience clash. If you read everything posted on the Internet about critter compatability, or even the way to set up a salt water tank, and followed that advice you would end up with nothing :)

John

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Well, that's not fair. And now I have a lonely lysmata. :p

John, do you also feel the fish is most likely the culprit?

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Yes Sue I do. I think ALL fish are opportunists and will eat anything. It's just that some species are more likely to offend than others.

Might be a stupid analogy but it's like saying that all dogs are capable of biting you, it's just that some breeds are more likely to bite than others.

John

5. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

[quote author=birdlady link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=0#8 date=11/22/04 at 11:25:39]Reiple,

what other stuff do you have in your tank? with the missing shrimp?[/quote]

Hi BL!

Guess who I found last night as the lights were out! Yup....the big cleaner!Darn thing was hidding all the time. The small one was however still missing.

But something else...suddenly when I turned the lights on the sandal/slipper coral moved. yeah MOVED UP then DOWN. AHA! I saw a hairy porcelain like crab the size of a nickel (OMG!!!!!). Should I track it down and...blow it up? ;)

Yup Craig could be right there. Maybe all the excessive feeding I do sometimes spike my nitrate. I think I need a better skimmer. sigh....the never ending spending.....LOL!

btw BL all I have is listed at my signature.

6. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=0#12 date=11/22/04 at 11:41:20]Your call on the starfish, mine went back to the LFS.[/quote]

they're opportunistic feeders right? the brittle starfish?

7. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

[quote author=amcarrig link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=15#15 date=11/22/04 at 12:59:12]
    Also want to point out that skunks, fire, peppermints and coral banded shrimp are all cleaners :)[/quote]

A simple test in my tank which says a shrimp is not a cleaner is Faith.

She will eat non-cleaner shrimps (and my CBS surived long with her but died with a stooopid vodka test. another boring story...LOL!)

8. Click Here!

9. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

[quote author=JohnO link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=15#20 date=11/22/04 at 15:27:13]

Sue,

This, and in many other topics, is where science and experience clash. If you read everything posted on the Internet about critter compatability, or even the way to set up a salt water tank, and followed that advice you would end up with nothing :)

John
    [/quote]

agree....100%. Someone even scolded me and told me damsels are too big for my 60 gallons! how much more my SFE Faith (now almost 30" long and 1.5" high)? And another SFE (unnamed....hmmm) in my 15 gallon 3 chamber sump. This eel is now 2 feet and 1 inch high. It moves from one chamber to the other all the time.

and both tank and sump are coverless.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=reiple link=board=ASAP;num=1101074960;start=15#25 date=11/22/04 at 22:18:23]

A simple test in my tank which says a shrimp is not a cleaner is Faith.

She will eat non-cleaner shrimps (and my CBS surived long with her but died with a stooopid vodka test. another boring story...LOL!)

[/quote]
    [smiley=laugh3.gif] An expensive yet effective test no doubt!

11. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

defintely expensive! a better way is to research in the web.
    heck using Faith to test is wacky! LOL!

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Yeah, no kidding hey! :)

Now, I don't want to take this thread off topic but I wanted to ask you if you keep that carpet anemone in the 60 gallon or in a seperate tank?