Resolved Missing Anemone Please Help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by LarryS, Nov 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Very cool. :)

2. Click Here!

3. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Nem Moved Again Looks Ill Is He Sick or What?

I say or what, because these creatures are quite strange! :-/

Ok, so the guy took a walk in the middle of the morning.... and must be why I was up worried about him and shot the first pic. Here, he is already on the move walking to parts unknown. I suspect he decided to move, because a very small rock was displaced by 2 snails. That piece either grazed him or landed just above....he's walking on that perch
    here.

Nem on the move 111118 353 3reef.jpg

This shows what he looked like when I discovered him this morning. Looks very bad to me.... we thought best to remove him. To me, at that time he looked dead with his mouth nearly fully open. Frankly, he looked a little gross. Camera does not due him justice, in that regard.

Nem Not Looking Good 1 356 3reef.jpg

These 2 shots show how he transformed, within seconds of me gently touching his foot to determine if removal (thinking he's dying). So, in these it is clear that the critter is alive. Note that he has picked a spot somewhat like a 'bat cave'. It's away from direct light, under a natural cliff like area that is reasonably well protected.

Nem Not Looking Good 2 357 3reef.jpg Nem Not Looking Good 3 358 3reef.jpg

For perspective on where he is, here's a shot of the 'bat cave' area prior to filling tank with sw.

IMG_2987 Stamped DPP 3reef.jpg

4. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Tried feeding the nem... my potential adopter got cold feet...

I placed a small piece of raw shrimp near enough to him...touching his tips...and got no reaction. At about the same time, a cleaner shrimp that I added about an hour ago came around and the nem did move in reaction...he's definitely alive but not taking the shrimp.

Any ideas?

5. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Update For Potential and Current Anemone Keepers

Anemone is doing well. Still in same spot. Seems to be healthy and happy.

6. jmanis91

jmanis91 Astrea Snail

Sound like you rushed things more than a little bit. Sometimes you get lucky and things work out. I personally rushed things in my tank and lost some coral and a star fish. Luckily i found a lfs that wont let me buy anything until i tell them how old my tank is and what i have in it.

7. LarryS

LarryS Bristle Worm

Sorry about your coral and star.

Regarding the lfs you found, you're very lucky! :) Too many are after the quick sale and are shortsighted in what and how they sell. Because of that, I've geared myself to buying direct from hobbyists for coral and livestock whenever possible...Craigslist is a great resource and also on-line for dry goods, supplies, rock, etc. chasing the savings and selection. Even with misinformation, most hobbyists I've come across seemed more concerned about their reps than many lfs (tho they might claim otherwise, they're actions speak louder than words whether it's a training issue or lack of oversight.