Mini Fuge for BioCube DIY Thread w/ Pics

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by Biocube, Jan 31, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

No problem, glad I could help.

I do get noise from my overflow, I am still trying to figure out how to silence it. I do play around with the ball valve and sometimes find the "sweet" spot but as of right now it's pretty darn loud.

2. Click Here!

3. louy99

louy99 Feather Duster

i was afraid of that...
    i wonder if this can work for your design??
    [11] Silencing the overflow with Stockman standpipe modification - YouTube

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

5. roadwaffle

roadwaffle Plankton

Wow, after reading and studying this I have a couple questions ( with more to come I'm sure... )
    [​IMG]

and do I need more then these materials?
    5ft - 1in PVC Pipe (Cut x2 14 inch pipes & 1x 13in pipe)
    6 - 1in 90 degree bens
    1 - 1in T fitting
    1 - 1in end cap

Unless I can replace some of the PVC with tubing. If I understand what I'm reading water held in the "U" is what allows this to restart after a poweroutage. I just don't know if it's the first "U" or the second "U".

And my next question is:
    [​IMG]

What is the height of the internal glass pieces on a 5.5 gallon tank that is 16 3/16 X 8 3/8 X 10 1/2?

I will have to purchase a pump for this unless I can use the stock pump which has a pump flow rate of 243 gph (920 L/H ). How do you know what size pump is needed? I'm new to this hobby and would like some money left over to stock my tank :)

Thanks for helping me!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  6. Ashevillian

Ashevillian Pajama Cardinal

that internal glass piece would vary depending on the size tank you're using for a sump.

its a very easy to use overflow, but sometimes the siphon can mess up if you remove a big piece of rock or stick your arm in too fast. at least this is from my experience;

biocube, what would you think if we were to make the overflow 1.5" or even 2" pvc just to make clogging less of an issue?

Also dude, my return hose gets nasty every like 2 months and I need to replace it, do you have this problem or is it from my return pump being too slow? Hydror 320 set to medium

Btw I added a diamond goby and it's really done wonders with my sand bed making it perfectly white

7. roadwaffle

roadwaffle Plankton

Ashevillian, I'm actually reading Mobalized thread and watching you build yours! LOL. I have a biocube 29 and am wanting to add a 5.5 gallon sump. So my setup would be exactly like BIOCUBES ( because I'm to scared to venture out on my own yet but am good at following directions ) I need this to work if I do it because my kids gave me this tank as a Mother's Day present and will be sad I'm cutting the hood up and my husband will shake his head and walk the other way.

8. Click Here!

9. roadwaffle

roadwaffle Plankton

and OF COURSE some more questions. Let me know if you want me to ask these another way so I don't junk of your thread...

[​IMG]

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Hey, I honestly have no idea what the exact length of each piece is, I'll try to measure as much as I can to give you a ballpark if thats okay?

And the little black thing is a ball valve, I use to in case I am moving rock or for any type of malfunction.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I currently have the Sicce 2.0 with 3/4in Check Valve (THIS IS IMPORTANT!!). Unless you are able to find an all plastic 1/2in check valve you could use your stock pump.

The FIRST baffle is 7 inches high, I have found this to be a pretty solid height.

12. roadwaffle

roadwaffle Plankton

I've decided just to dupicate yours as closely as I can. I don't know why I asked for exact measurements. I think because Ashvillians doesn't seem to work quite the same. I'ld like to duplicate your as closely as possible. It does look like more then 5 ft of PVC and the hardware store is quite a drive. Did you use aquarium glue or PVC cement and does it matter ( in your opinion)? And it looks like I need 10 - 1" 90 degree bends. Just making my list of supplies and checking it twice - ha ha.