Millipora question

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Frizza, Aug 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Ha, I was about to say the same thing.

To agree with everyone...that is growth! I love montiporas, they grow so fast for sps...sometimes 1in/month!

Good luck. Maybe take pics every month and see the growth after 1 year!

2. Click Here!

3. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I think I will do that, I also have a plating monti as well and it's difficult to see how much its grown, especially when you look at them every day!

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd also advise you to quarantine all and any new montipora's in the future so you won't get a few of the montipora eating Nudi's as they will wipe the tank out.. With all the coral swapping going one these days they are at plague proportions it seems .. I know as many people who have them in their systems as I do those that done. Inspect all the new montipora really closely

5. Frizza

Good advice, the frags I got are very small pieces along with the rock that they sit on so inspection wasnt really a problem. Speaking of nudi's, there is one in my sump that doesn't come out very often and looks black with lots of pointy bits sticking out of him. It spends most of its time sitting in a hole in a rock, ohh and its around 2cm long.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Well these things are hard to see unless you know what you are looking for amazes me there are still so many who have not a clue as to whhat they look like and where to look and what they early signs are Take a peek at this string I ran across.. A good photo of them and that is a larger one About the size of a small speck of sand .

Montipora eating nudibranches - SA Reefkeeping.com

7. Frizza

They are small little b*ggers aren't they?! I will double check my pieces and without a doubt any new additions will go into my QT.

8. Click Here!

9. Sndwave80

Sndwave80 Bristle Worm

The coral looks healthy!

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have found them as large as a 1/8th of a inch close to 1/4 inch I don't do metric LOL Old school But even the larger ones where hard to see when pressed flat to the underside of the corals .. Not saying you could have them or even will at some point just trying to educate all to them its been going on for sometime and many like that site still have no clues as to what to look for..
    I'd hate to see anyone else get wiped out as we did from a free frag :) I just placed a monti back in the other day as bait! I think we where able to save him /her :) after 6 weeks in quarantine and plenty of flatworm exit dips or soaks . Thats about all I could find to kill the hatched pest nothing will kill the eggs . I just brought home a 12 gal Nano Cube from the shop that was in my way all day that will become my new and first quarantine tank in 35 yrs. For all corals from here on out..
    And at the shop I just finished my last acrylic tank for our dual tank mobile quarantine system for corals we take in from our commercial systems we manage that hold many corals for us to use as parent colonies .

11. Frizza

I will safely say that I will quarantine my corals from now on in. Just imagine if you have a nice mature tank and some of these little critters are introduced, they would cause complete havoc! You could end up nearly dismantling a whole tank!

12. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

Speaking of nudi's, there is one in my sump that doesn't come out very often and looks black with lots of pointy bits sticking out of him. It spends most of its time sitting in a hole in a rock, ohh and its around 2cm long.[/QUOTE]

I used to have one of these nudi in my reef tank when i was like 13 yrs old it was black and almost had like bits of an exposed spinal structure.