Mighty Mite not giving 0 TDS?

Discussion in 'Air, Water & Ice' started by MrOcean, Apr 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MrOcean

MrOcean Bristle Worm

I bought a Mighty Mite last month. I've used it to make about 60 gallons of water so far. I was getting 0 TDS with tap water coming in at over 500 TDS. Recently I've been getting around 6 TDS.

I use a Rubbermaid container to store the water in. Could the TDS reading be coming from the container? Could I have already gone through the filters and need replacing (I sure hope not lol)...? I'm new to this whole RO/DI thing so any help is appreciated!

Also, is the quality of this water so horrible for a soon to be softie/LPS reef?

2. Click Here!

3. airwaterice

airwaterice 3reef Sponsor

500 TDS feeding that unit is pretty high. Your filters may be exhausted already.. but to be sure.. check the water coming straight out of the DI cartridge.
    Get back to me @
    [email protected]

4. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

500 TDS!?!?!?!?!

Where is that water!?

I thought mine was bad at about 200 TDS!

The water where I work is about 335! But 500 is pretty bad.

What is the water pressure there? What is the TDS coming out of the RO membrane? If this is higher than a few TDS (say higher than 5 or so TDS) then your DI resin will be exhausted rapidly.

Do you have colorchanging resin on there? Is it now brown/amber?

5. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Are you saying the O TDS water is now reading 6 in the rubbermaid or the water coming straight from the RO/DI is now 6 when it read 0 60g ago....

6. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

Provide the above information, with more clarity we will get down to the bottom of your issue.

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

If the RO membrane is cheap (probably is), it could be something like 95% rejection. That would be 25 TDS out of the membrane, which would mean your DI would likely already be exhausted.

8. Click Here!

9. Jgut3

Jgut3 Fire Worm

500 tds your filter wont last as long as the recommended replacement time frame. Its prolly exhausted.

10. jtr38230

jtr38230 Skunk Shrimp

I think that they are saying the tap water is at 500 tds and they was getting 0 but now its 6 tds. Try testing the water out of a clean cup instead of the rubbermade tote. It is more than likely the tote that is dirty.

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

+1 prob just your tote

12. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Hopefully this issue has been solved, this thread is from April of last year. ;)