Might not be a disease, mantis mabye ?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Alex, Feb 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Alright so the rundown. Tanks been up and running 5 months. last month starting hearing clicking sounds. they are getting louder and more frequent. lights came on in the morning happened to be near not paying attention. it scared whatever was on the liverock and it darted in a hole sending debris flying everywere. found a few of my polyp frags split in half. hermits magically disspearing. frags also change position alot and one has moved a good 5 inches. now not saying its not a hermit. just highly doubt it. it gets worse. flame angel, did great for 2 months. was feeding looking good before i went to bed. got up next morning .. dead.. lawnmower blennie four days later... dead. now today I see my cleaner shrimps seems to be sticking to the upper part of the tank more towards the refugium or powerheads. only coming down to a fish that gets close or if i put some pellets in they go down for those.
    Just have not seen a mantis. Now I did think a flame angel was to fast for a mantis. but the flame liked to sleep in the cave, so yeah he could be toast no problem.
    anyhow, not sure what to do. have not actually seen a mantis.

2. Click Here!

3. REDMANS CUBE

REDMANS CUBE Fire Shrimp

i thought the same with my tank. until i saw a snail swinging its shell back and forth againgst the glass.

4. Alex

Yes exactly what i thought and dismissed it as for a good month or so :( but then i got to realizing the hermits are sooo small there is no way. and the only snail big enough to do it is either always on the live rock or in the refugium. and the double to triple clicks are what conserns me

5. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

as well as the moving coral/dead fishes...

you could possibly try and set up a camera and see if it comes out when you're not there...or even better.

A trap!!

6. Alex

yeah a trap sounds good. i gotta look for a good one online. ty

7. mile high reefer

mile high reefer Fire Shrimp

do you here it at night that is when mantis come out.

8. Click Here!

9. Alex

I hear it at all times of the day, but more frequent at night.

10. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

I hate to say that I do believe its a mantis. See if you can get a trap at an LFS to save shipping time. I don't know of any fish that can escape a mantis in a normal size tank. They are FAST. Good luck with whatever happens.

11. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

I'd say sounds like a mantis, I had one in my reef about a month ago. Ugly and super fast. Luckily he was in the front top of the tank. We pulled the rock and injected kalk mix cause he wouldnt come out. I feel bad for these animals, amazing creatures and not wanted for simple reasons.

12. Alex

hah well we actually have one in the tank downstairs and currently setting up a 35g long for another one